02 Explorer Intermittent Start Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer Intermittent Start Issues

Tamella

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
My husband bought a 2002 Explorer that had been sitting for two years due to a bad transmission. He replaced the transmission and it ran fine. While giving it a tune-up, he found a second key in a magnetic box near the radiator and put both keys on the same key ring.

I took my kids for a visit to my parents 600 miles away. Everything went fine for 3 days. I went to the grocery store and when I got back to my car, it wouldn't start. The starter would hum, but nothing else. A good Samaritan came by and banged on my starter. It started fine and didn't give me any problems for about a week when I ran some errands. On my way home from my third stop of the day, my car wouldn't start. In the Wal-Mart parking lot. Another good Samaritan stopped by and we got the car started by touching the battery cable to the starter wire (key was in the start position).

I got it home, took the key out and tried to start the car again. It wouldn't start. Not a big deal since I was in a safe location & had nowhere to go. When I went back out a couple hours later, it started just fine. It ran perfectly for a few days.

Yesterday I went to the post office (less than a mile away) and on my way out, I tried to start my car. Nothing. I walked back home. Went back a couple hours later and it started right up.

Today, I went for a drive with my daughter. We stopped at a local store, looked around, drove away. Stopped at another local store to look around and when we got into the car, it would not start again. I've tried both keys. I've tried locking & unlocking the car with the fob. Nothing.

The THEFT light on the cluster blinks slowly and when the key is in the #2 position, the THEFT light is solid and then goes out with the majority of the other lights.

The LED on the dash does not come on when I try starting the car.

The battery & all battery functions (windows, keyfob, radio, headlights) are fine.

My husband and I got to thinking that it could be the second key. The one he found in the magnetized box. That when I use that key, I am engaging the anti-theft system in the vehicle. Fine. I will no longer use that key. It's still at the gas station, but my dad & I will head down to see if it will start.

Am I on the right track? Any ideas what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it is the key, If there is a problem with the security system that LED on the Dash should be blinking rapidly,

Not sure how many miles you have on the car, But I would suspect you have a bad battery cable, a bad ground, or a bad starter.

Always check the cheep stuff first, try cleaning Both battery cables ( and on both ends )

also could be the neutral safety switch, Next time it does it try this :

put your foot on the brake and turn the key to the start position, if it does not start then move the shifter lever with your left hand and see if it will "catch" while keeping the key in the start position.

you can also try to start in nuteral instead of park...

THANKS for the quick reply!!

I will try starting it in neutral next time it acts up. When we went back down to the gas station to start it, it wouldn't start with either keys, so it's definitely not the keys.

My dad had to use a screwdriver to jump the starter (like what happened in my original post). My dad doesn't think it's the starter because the starter started it up just fine. I'm guessing it's somewhere between the key & the starter.

We don't see how it'd be the battery or cable because all battery functions are fine.

My .02,

Clean the battery terminals, make sure they are tight. Make sure the wires to the starter are tight. Check for any grounding problems. I am afraid your starter is going out.

Good luck,
Post results!

I'm fine if it's the starter. I just don't want to replace the starter to find out it's the ignition ring or something to do with PATS.

There are about 70k miles on it. Remember it sat for 2+ years before we bought it, though.

My dad doesn't think it's the starter because it starts right up when we jump it from the battery cable.

My husband thinks it's the starter solenoid and I think I'm headed to the salvage yard tomorrow to get a "new" one.

My husband wants me to get a new starter, but before I do that, I want to try starting it when it's in neutral to rule out the neutral safety switch. I have a feeling it's the neutral safety switch and not the starter/solenoid. I drove around today and stopped & started the car a dozen times and it started every single time (of course).

I found this thread and found it very helpful. The chart halfway down the page is what makes me think it's NOT the starter/solenoid.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146784&highlight=diagnosing+slow+start

Back