02 Explorer Limited

EJJM

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
Hi there,

i have a 99 xls at the moment and I'm trying to decide if I would get this 02 Ex Limited that is being offered to me, it has around 130,x.. miles on it.

Any thoughts and suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

ejjm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 02 XLT has 198k on it. I take care of it though. I expect 50 thou more before I get something else.

If the owner has had the tranny flushed regularly, and upkept the other maintenance, you should get severalthousand out of it still.

D

As the first model year of the 3rd generation, many will tell you to avoid it.

I would not get one without a documented service history and/or pre-purchase inspection (by a pro who knows these and their potential problems).

That said, I have an '02 Limited, totally loaded, bought new in May 2002, and it has been as trouble-free as any car I have ever owned. SO much so that it is the only car I have ever kept to 100K miles from new.

Make sure to drive a hard bargain, they have little value in today's market.

Good Luck.

I bought my 02 Limited with a little over 65k on the clock and have just under 98k currently. The only issues I have had on it are the bearings and I have a slow leak in the t-stat housing (4.0L). Those are the only "major" problems as of now. Fluids get changed in a few thousand miles but she still runs strong.

Thanks Guys,

Another input, I talked with the dealer and he said that they have a 1 yr and/or 12k mile guarantee on the ex.

Thanks Guys,

Another input, I talked with the dealer and he said that they have a 1 yr and/or 12k mile guarantee on the ex.

Then low ball that sucker and enjoy! Check what that warrantee covers, too.

Back