02 Explorer Rear Lift Glass Latch/Wiper Mount | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer Rear Lift Glass Latch/Wiper Mount

I have this exact problem with my 03' Lincoln Aviator. I am not looking forward to prying off the plastic trim. Yeah mine is cracked, actually cracked when I bought the car earlier this year. Not my biggest issue with the car, but preventing it from locking up my tools. That and the damn DOOR AJAR chime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this exact problem with my 03' Lincoln Aviator. I am not looking forward to prying off the plastic trim. Yeah mine is cracked, actually cracked when I bought the car earlier this year. Not my biggest issue with the car, but preventing it from locking up my tools. That and the damn DOOR AJAR chime.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Check you PM!

sorry to revive an old, old thread... but i have the same issue with the latch bolts and can't figure out a resolution. my exterior panel isn't cracked, but the latch bolts are completely rusted and snapped. i also noticed my liftgate window is off center, maybe from the hinges... i still have to take it to the dealership to see if there's a recall that covers it.

can i just take the exterior panel off and replace the lock/wiper assembly bolts? did anyone ever come up with a part number for them? i'd really like to fully lock my truck lol...

I know that this thread is a little old but I just found it after searching.

It turns out that I may have the same problem. It started when I noticed that once all my doors and liftgate was locked, that the glass portion of the liftgate was a little loose. At first I thought it was something blocking it, but checked the lining several times and it wasn't anything there.

Upon further investigation, I noticed that the loop/handle portion of the glass liftgate was loose. So I pried back the plastic a little, thinking that it might've been loose screws, only to find that the two studs seems to have rusted off to the point where the loop portion seems to be sitting inside the plastic trim panel. It looks exactly like the OP's images of the metal stud plate.

The outside FORD decal plate doesn't have the cosmetic crack problem that these cars are known for. The glass itself is perfectly fine and the liftgate glass still latches (as of now). It catches and locks but I'm not sure how long that'll last. I havent taken off the interior trim panel yet because I'm not sure if it's holding things in place and I don't want to make matters worse by removing it.

I was looking at the metal plate that holds the two studs and it seems that it might be possible to adhere it to the glass in order to make the hook/metal plate portion stay in place well enough for the hook to latch properly. Is it really that easy? I don't want to (and can't afford to), spend money for a whole new back glass, when its perfectly fine otherwise. I have an 02 with about 187,000 miles on it, so I'm not sure its worth it to spend a couple hundred on this part/installation.

Are there any known workarounds? If I can get the latch to secure tightly enough, I can just open the main liftgate from now on, instead of just the glass portion.

Thanks in advance

Removed my panel and fixed the latch a couple years ago. Really no big deal.
Weld the loop onto a strap of steel.

thanks [MENTION=8968]rocco123[/MENTION]: I dont have access to the tools so I'm going to the body shop next week to have them do the welding. the guy will be charging $40 to do it. thanks for the advice.

I peeled off the panel with a puddy knife and hammer for access. Didnt damage panel at all and reinstalled it with the glue called out in the tsb

thanks, that sounds similar to what I did as well. I'm mostly paying him for the welding of a new hook onto a metal plate as I dont have access to metal welding tools etc. I had taken the panel off already to see what's going on behind it. I'm going to try and talk him down to $30 because it shouldnt take that long to weld metal with the appropriate tools.

Sucks if ya cant weld yourself but it needs done

Back