02 Explorer stuck in 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maine951

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 02 Explorer XLT. It has the Auto 4x4, hi, and low. Every now and then it gets stuck in 4x4 High due to the auto 4x4 kicking in. It will switch in and out of 4lo but refuses to go into normal. I've tried driving in reverse while switching, and switching from Auto, hi, lo, back to auto from reading other threads. No lights are on during Auto but still feels like its in 4hi when turning. Not sure what to do at this point other then waiting till it possibly feels like going back to normal.

In the past I have already changed both front, and rear transfer case sensor, shift motor, and control module. All seem to be working fine. After this is solved I'm defiantly investing time in the brown wire mod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 02 Explorer XLT. It has the Auto 4x4, hi, and low. Every now and then it gets stuck in 4x4 High due to the auto 4x4 kicking in. It will switch in and out of 4lo but refuses to go into normal. I've tried driving in reverse while switching, and switching from Auto, hi, lo, back to auto from reading other threads. No lights are on during Auto but still feels like its in 4hi when turning. Not sure what to do at this point other then waiting till it possibly feels like going back to normal.

In the past I have already changed both front, and rear transfer case sensor, shift motor, and control module. All seem to be working fine. After this is solved I'm defiantly investing time in the brown wire mod.

The auto-4wd will kick in if the tires are worn unevenly. Especially when turning.

Check out the brown wire mod thread, that might cure your problem if you do that.

Check out the brown wire mod thread, that might cure your problem if you do that.

I checked the tire tread and they're all worn pretty evenly. I tried just cutting the brown wire today after reading through the thread, someone said you can just use a switch instead of a relay with a switch. Had no luck with it.

I checked the tire tread and they're all worn pretty evenly. I tried just cutting the brown wire today after reading through the thread, someone said you can just use a switch instead of a relay with a switch. Had no luck with it.

Ya you can use a switch at the cut if you want to reach behind the glove box everytime you need to switch it. Only need a relay if you need remote control of it from the driver seat.

how do you know if it stuck in 4WD? simply unplug the two connectors from the 4x4 module. The 4WD HAS to have power going to the clutch in order to work.

Unless somehow you fused the clutch...

My '05 used to do this too, and so I got fed up and did what everyone else mentioned and did the brown wire mod. The switch I chose for the bwm has an LED light on it, so when the switch is on I am in auto mode, the light is on but fairly dim. When the rear tires spin and it kicks into 4x4, the LED lights up bright, telling me that the front axle is engaged. The LED will continue to stay bright for quite some time after that (~10 minutes), until I guess the computer gets calmed down and goes back to 2wd. Not sure why it wants to stay in 4x4, but the brown wire mod sure is a life saver.

how do you know if it stuck in 4WD? simply unplug the two connectors from the 4x4 module. The 4WD HAS to have power going to the clutch in order to work.

Unless somehow you fused the clutch...

I unplugged the module and even changed it out at one point. I know its in 4wd whenever I turn or even just driving. I can feel the strain and binding on the front end. I I don't think the clutch is fused because I can shift it into neutral manually with the shift motor off and drive normally. I have a buddy who works on transfer cases and transmissions, hopefully he will find the issue and I might be able to shed some light to others if they ever had this problem.

Back