02 limited surging not revving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 limited surging not revving

gwilkrrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
155000 miles recently stated running rough and surging while driving. Parked and full throttled the gas peddle and it wouldn’t rev to the moon- surged and raved up and down but not clear throttle and only went to like 3k rpm. Wife said she ran it drastically low on fuel a week ago but nothing else weird -
any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

155000 miles recently stated running rough and surging while driving. Parked and full throttled the gas peddle and it wouldn’t rev to the moon- surged and raved up and down but not clear throttle and only went to like 3k rpm. Wife said she ran it drastically low on fuel a week ago but nothing else weird -
any thoughts?
Started and ran fine this am-
10 min in at 45 is started surging and Erving from 2500 to 1500 while holding steady peddle-

Started and ran fine this am-
10 min in at 45 is started surging and Erving from 2500 to 1500 while holding steady peddle-
I has similar issues with my 2003.
Replaced plugs, wires, coils, IAC, EGR, MAF, intake gaskets, and checked for intake leaks. It wound up being an upstream 02 sensor.....

I has similar issues with my 2003.
Replaced plugs, wires, coils, IAC, EGR, MAF, intake gaskets, and checked for intake leaks. It wound up being an upstream 02 sensor.....
i checked codes- non stored or upcoming listed.

how did you narrow it down to the o2 sensor?

i checked codes- non stored or upcoming listed.

how did you narrow it down to the o2 sensor?
I did not get any codes either. After I replaced the other things, this was one of the few things left that made sense. There are two upstream and two downstream. I replaced the upstreams and it took care of the problem.

Back