• Register Today It's free!

02 Mountaineer DTC 733

studibel

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Merc Mountaineer
Greetings all. Brand new to this site as well as new owner of the 02 Mountaineer V8 AWD. This last weekend, O/D OFF light blinking and "CHECK TRANSMISSION" on the message center. Prior to this, shifting was not smooth, but definitely didn't CLUNK from going into 2nd gear. Felt a "shudder" when it shifted into O/D too. Once the lights came on, the shift into 2nd gear was delayed until high RPMs. It would finally shift and then BANG into gear. The other gears shifted fine, but no O/D shift. So, took to tranny shop. They checked the code and came up with a 745 code indicated a solenoid pack A. Today, they changed it and test drove. Now, it will shift very smoothly 1st and 2nd...then a high rpm rev before shifting into 3rd, then very smooth into 4th and O/D. He said it then threw code 733. It will do this until the O/D light starts blinking again and then back to the CLUNK shift into 2nd gear. Seems like something not telling the tranny to shift at certain speeds. Could there be just some sensor that could be replaced to clear the code 733? Sorry if this isn't very technical. I don't work on tranny's and never have. Engine stuff, I'm OK with, but these scare me. Any help would be much appreciated!
Stu

Back