02 MOUNTAINEER OD LIGHT FLASHING

kenc195

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 2WD V8
150,000 miles, rebuilt transmission around 90,000, 4.6 V8

Took a trip to San Diego from Yuma and had some long 6% hills to climb. Like an idiot I left the OD on and after about 8 miles the OD tripped out, OD OFF light started flashing and service transmission message came up on message system. I kept driving because we were in the middle of nowhere and everything seemed to work okay except the overdrive.

I got into town and noticed it was shifting firm into 3rd gear on the surface streets. Parked it at the hotel and the next morning everything was normal. No lights flashing and nothing on the message system and shifted like normal. I drove it home to Phoenix (375 miles) but this time I wasn't an idiot and turned the OD off on the hills.

Does the truck have a problem or was I just an idiot leaving the OD on? Does it need servicing?

150,000 miles, rebuilt transmission around 90,000, 4.6 V8

Took a trip to San Diego from Yuma and had some long 6% hills to climb. Like an idiot I left the OD on and after about 8 miles the OD tripped out, OD OFF light started flashing and service transmission message came up on message system. I kept driving because we were in the middle of nowhere and everything seemed to work okay except the overdrive.

I got into town and noticed it was shifting firm into 3rd gear on the surface streets. Parked it at the hotel and the next morning everything was normal. No lights flashing and nothing on the message system and shifted like normal. I drove it home to Phoenix (375 miles) but this time I wasn't an idiot and turned the OD off on the hills.

Does the truck have a problem or was I just an idiot leaving the OD on? Does it need servicing?

Not sure if the program includes it, but possibly transmission overheat caused OD flash. Actually, the big 4.6 can pull pretty well even in 5th. gear, and normally the Torque Converter Clutch disengage does the trick, that occurring first, then 5th. to 4th. downshift next if it's called for.

But, yes, everyone should know about why that OD OFF button is there. imp

Back