02 ST 4.0, 170K Engine Build Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 ST 4.0, 170K Engine Build Options

trutrac

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson,az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST
Hello All.
I'm looking for some advice or links on engine build, I didn't find much new threads searching around.

I have a 02 ST, 4.0, 170K. I've owned it about 19 years, original trans/TC.... (yayaya I know....synthetic oil changes every 3K, upgraded trans cooler + trans flushes/filter every fall)

I got stationed overseas about 3.5 years ago and it went into storage knowing it probably needs AT LEAST a head job/tranny rebuilt. It gets started and drove monthly~ and I've been home twice and drive it around. My plan is to have my father-in-law who manages a reputable automotive shop rebuild or replace it for my son who will be getting his permit when we get back to the states this year.

Here my questions:
- Rebuild - Is there a recent or good threads out there with kitting details or long/short block (Jasper: eng $5K/trans $4K~...grosssssss) Any other options?
- Random Tech Y-pipe, I cant seem to find one, any leads or updates?
- Exhaust (Flowmaster 40 series)? Just want to give him a little throttle noise....
- Aluminum radiator with electric fans options? Any bolt in options?
- Any other recommendations?

I want to take off as much work from my father-in-laws (well Techs) plate as possible, so looking to have all the parts in bed and have them get at it with reasonable budget. I also want this to last through a 16-year-old... lol ... and another 21 years.... after I repo it from him. So nothing TOO extreme but a cool 1st truck that's reliable and dependable like its been for the last couple decades.

Most recent picture pulling it out from storage and getting er washed and lubed up and an old snow "wheeling" pic.

Thank you all!

ST in SNOW.jpg ST Outta Storage.jpg

Do not get a rebuilt engine like from Jasper or any other rebuilder!
A young kid first vehicle so a 302 V8 swap is out of the question. If engine in good shape just have timing chains etc. Replaced with Ford parts and good to go 👍🏻

A young kid first vehicle so a 302 V8 swap is out of the question.
You do the 302 swap but leave the restrictive exhaust manifolds on.

Back