02 transmission/chugging issues (clueless) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 transmission/chugging issues (clueless)

nssj2

Reaction score
hey my buddy has a 02 ex with the v6. had me test drive it to figure out whats up. when shifting out of park, it doesn't want to. you either have to rock it or REALLY push on the brakes. Then about 35-40 mph it starts chugging, almost like its slipping. sometimes it will keep chugging, other times it will be normal. it clunks before it starts slipping/chugging. rpms are normal and don't fluctuate, so the tranny isn't slipping. now, this accelerating like normal. if i get my foot in, not a single problem. no warning lights. anyone have any ideas?? i dont know these 3rd gens too well, but i can take a 2nd gen apart blindfolded lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nothin, eh?

when shifting out of park, it doesn't want to. you either have to rock it or REALLY push on the brakes.

Don't know about the other stuff, but could it be TSB 04-22-12:

A/T - Hard To Shift From DRIVE to PARK
11/15/04

GEAR SELECTOR LEVER - INCREASED EFFORT TO
SHIFT FROM DRIVE TO PARK

FORD:
2002-2005 Explorer

MERCURY:
2002-2005 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some 2002-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles, may require a greater effort to move the gear selector lever (shift lever) from drive to park. This may be due to a time delay with the brake shift interlock (BSI) pin retraction.

ACTION

To service, replace the BSI switch

How many miles are on it? It sounds like the brake light switch on the brake pedal. I had that go out on my moms, you couldn't get it out of park unless you used the shifter bypass thing under the steering wheel. The "chugging" issue may be related to the solenoid block, it is also quite common. I did ours at about 85,000 miles and the dealer also reprogrammed the trans at that time too. It was still under power train warranty.

thanks! Ill have him take it to ford, and make see if that TSB fixes it. i think its right around 50k. hummm, maybe ford will put this all on their tab lol. why cant they do a transmission right anymore.....

Back