'02 XLT - How big can I go w/o mods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT - How big can I go w/o mods?

rugger0215

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I'm a new reader, for a '02 XLT, how big of a tire can I go without making any modifications.
Read some other posts regarding tire size but could not find any info. They seems to stop with '01.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.. I don't think anyone has really attempted it on a 3rd generation Explorer.. The only thing I recommend doing is finding a Jeep or a Ranger with larger tires and try fitting them and see if you rub when you turn.

I have an 02 explorer and have the same question. let me know when you find out.

I just put on 255/70/r16. 235s are stock. The tech told me that a 265 would fit, but would rub the struts and cause a whole lot of problems. In fact, he told me that if it fit without problems, he'd give them to me for free. No luck :(. Anyway, the 255s are pretty aggressive and pretty damn sexy if you ask me!

There are several people on here running 265 70 16's without rubbing issues. 31x10.5x16 is approximately the same size, but is a little wider and may rub.

There are several people on here running 265 70 16's without rubbing issues. 31x10.5x16 is approximately the same size, but is a little wider and may rub.

will 265/70/17's work with issue?

My '03 EB has 245/65/17s which are stock.

I need new pics....

here we go again...265/75/R16
They only rub if I have the wheel turned all the way over and I'm on a hill. They DO NOT rub any suspension components. All that rubs is the plastic inside the fenderwells, which I am too lazy to tie back.:p: They are Kumho Venture Mud Terrains.
exporear.jpg

Back