• Register Today It's free!

03 Ex v6 5R55W PO741 Need Help!!

svt4cam

Reaction score
City, State
The Wilds of New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
Greetings, Been a while since I have posted. My daughter's 03 v6 4dr 170,000 miles, started the dreaded OD off flash on Sunday. It was late so I didn't look at it or drive it. Took it to the dealer yesterday to get codes driving from cold no flashing light but as it warmed up it came on. Seemed to still have OD because RPM would vary 6-700 or so when turning od switch on and off. Seemed to shift normally with light on no sharp limp home shifts, although I only got to drive it briefly after light came on. Dealer came up with PO741 Torque Converter circuit off. Dealer wants to replace the TC for 1,600.00. They pulled the pan and said everything looked clean in there no misplaced parts etc. I replaced a 5R55E in my other daughters 00 Ex with a Jasper rebuilt several years ago myself. But being a few years older and busy as hell I'm not sure I want to yank the trans in the 03 to do the converter. So, I'm looking for opinions, is replacing the TC going to fix this problem more than likely or is a solenoid or valve body the issue? We've had this old girl since new and had Trans fluid & filter changed at 100,000 miles. Thanks in advance for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cant really tell you what exactly is the problem with your trans, there are a few things that can cause it not to have lock up and set that code.

The most common is the converter itself, 1600.00 to replace it is a little expensive, you should be able to have that done for half that, and the small seal on the pump stator should be changed as well.

The other issues are in the valve body mainly the TCC control valve and the TCC modulator valve. Obviously valve body repair would not require the trans to be removed but it can be expensive to repair or replace the valve body as well. I have built many of these transmissions and I have only had to deal with worn valve body issues for TCC on a few of them.

I have had a few issues with the solenoid blocks on these, even new ones but I haven't had just a TCC problem and fixed it with a new solenoid block, but there is always a first time.

If it was to come into my shop I would want to sell a rebuild because of the mileage, I know there has to be other problems that I see all the time that are about to give you problems. Its just tough when someone spends good money to fix one thing just to have something else fail shortly after, because they always come back and say ether I did something wrong or if they would have known they were going to have other issues they wouldn't have "fixed" it in the first place.

I know I couldn't tell what will fix it but it might be time to decide if its time to invest in fixing it right or replacing the vehicle.

JK080, Thanks for your reply, I had the dealer go ahead on the TC this morning because I had to make a decision. The car has always been very reliable and the body is in excellent shape, Just put tires and alignment on it a month ago (of course). I've had good luck with this dealer even though they are a little spendy. As part of the service the tech is going to move the servo snap rings on the outside of the case to the lowest position and butter up the exhaust with anti seaze, so if I should have to do something in the future myself it will not be as much of a battle. I may sell my 02 sport manual an reappropriate the 03 for myself. I'm also inclined to install a supplemental trans filter on it. Which I did on the '00 when I replaced it's trans. The tech said the bottom of the pan and fluid looked real good on the trans when he checked it out. No metal or nasty stuff. Sorry to ask for advise then ignore it, that was not my intent. Hopefully this won't become a money pit.

Just a quick update, picked up the Ex yesterday from dealer. Torque Converter appears to have fixed it. I took it for a 30 minute hilly highway run and no OD light. So fingers crossed the old girl can keep pumping out the miles.

Checking to see if that totally fixed your problem?

Back