03 exp XLT AWD transmition issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 exp XLT AWD transmition issue

cbbubby

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
I have an 03 explorer XLT AWD 4.0 V6. I had to replace the transmission at 130,000 miles and I am not sure what transmission it has now. this new transmission only has about 60,000 miles on it. I am having same issues as most of the other posts ive read such as OD light flashing, check engine light, rpms going to ab 4,000 before shifting 1-2, and when I use reverse it shifts kind of hard when I put it back into drive. Only code that keeps showing is P0775. I have read on here several things that it could be but didn't find very many of the posts to be conclusive. I am leaning towards replacing solenoid block but wanted to hear some other opinions and suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had to deal with that code in particular but the solenoid blocks on these things are known for issues like this.

I would look at replacing the solenoid block and inspecting the case connector for any corrosion in your case.

Is there any way to determine whether the solenoid block is the problem or one of the servo pistons? for example mine does the high rpm shift from 1-2 but it doesn't shift into OD at all. Thanks for any input that might be helpful in advance

Is there any way to determine whether the solenoid block is the problem or one of the servo pistons? for example mine does the high rpm shift from 1-2 but it doesn't shift into OD at all. Thanks for any input that might be helpful in advance

Well the no OD part definitely changes things, the overdrive band is used to achieve 2nd gear and obviously is used for overdrive.

The things that can cause this is a broken band, broken overdrive servo, burnt overdrive band. A quick way to check for a broken band is to check the overdrive band adjustment, if the adjustment bolt screws in more than 3 turns the band could be broken. You can remove the overdrive servo and check it, if the servo is broken you can change it and hopefully it will work. I have noticed that when this servo fails it tends to burn the band.

ok another question, when someone has to have a transmission replaced does the new one come with a new solenoid block or does the old one have to be switched to the new tranny?

That would depend on who it came from, but I would think the exchange transmission would have its own solenoid block installed.

ok another question, when someone has to have a transmission replaced does the new one come with a new solenoid block or does the old one have to be switched to the new tranny?

I would hope that in rebuilding a transmission of this type, the rebuilder would automatically replace the solenoid module as part of the work. imp

Back