03 Explo Rear Open Diff Fluid Capacity? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explo Rear Open Diff Fluid Capacity?

SgKukov

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.0
Hey guys,

Anyone know how much the rear diff of an 03 V6 Explo w/ an open diff takes?

I say this because i just changed the fluid... i'm not sure exactly how much came out but it seems like when filling it back up it started spewing back out of the fill plug shortly after the 1st quart was in it. Looks like it took approximately 1-1/2 quarts.

Is that right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah level surface, didn't jack the car up. Hmmm 1.75... doesnt feel like i got quite that amount in there but it was coming out the fill plug. I dont know.

Yeah level surface, didn't jack the car up. Hmmm 1.75... doesnt feel like i got quite that amount in there but it was coming out the fill plug. I dont know.

If the vehicle was "level"(vehicle needs to be level) when you filled the diff with new gear oil and it started to back flow out of the fill hole, the diff is "full" at this point. If you didn't get exactly 1.75 qts of new fluid to go into the diff, it may be due to some residual old fluid still in the diff that just didn't drain out. I've also read in here where people have been adding an additional "pint" of gear oil thru the "speed sensor plug hole" at the top of the rear diff. To do this, you need to remove the spare tire, use a hand mirror to locate the speed sensor, remove the screw or bolt that holds in the speed sensor plug, remove the plug and add the extra pint of gear oil thru the plug hole, then re-install the speed sensor plug. You may also need to remove one of the rear wheels for extra room to work under there.

Do i want to fill the diff past the full point?

Do i want to fill the diff past the full point?

According to what I have recently "read" in here, yes, by adding an extra pint of gear oil thru the speed sensor plug located at the top of the diff housing. I'll try and find the link for that post regarding the extra pint of gear oil thru the speed sensor plug and insert it into this post of mine if I can locate it. Here is one that I found below:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375714

Here is another one I found regarding the extra pint of gear oil thru the speed sensor plug hole. This is the one I read not long ago, week or two:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382685

thanks for the info! it seems like people are pro and con with regards to the extra pint. I've already filled the diff up to the fill plug line and drove it approximately 50 miles. The whine is still there (coming on under acceleration between 30-40 and going away when i left off the gas) i'm thinking the rear diff wasn't the cause of my whining. Maybe the front diff?

Anyways i'm going to add a bit more to the fill plug, i'd like to try and find a disposable plastic syringe to inject it in... just make it a quick easy no mess fill. Anyways thanks a lot!

Anyways i'm going to add a bit more to the fill plug, i'd like to try and find a disposable plastic syringe to inject it in... just make it a quick easy no mess fill.
Turkey baster.

thanks for the info! it seems like people are pro and con with regards to the extra pint.

Anyways i'm going to add a bit more to the fill plug, i'd like to try and find a disposable plastic syringe to inject it in... just make it a quick easy no mess fill. Anyways thanks a lot!

Your welcome! Yeah, I got the same thing from reading thru those extra pint posts, but one person mentioned they thought adding the extra pint of gear oil thru the speed sensor plug hole was done to help quiet the rear diff whine problem. Something to think about. For doing the oil change, I use a hand pump and I have a 12 volt electric pump which I have used before. For cleanup, I spray some brake cleaner down the plastic tubing to flush out the gear oil and just store the pumps and tubing in a storage bin in the garage.

Turkey Baster, thats mint! Sometimes the simplest solutions elude me!

I'm going to do this on Sunday when i have the day off. Also thanks for the idea of cleaning out the line with a bit of brake fluid... i have that line sitting outside as i'm not sure how i was going to store it... diff fluid stiinnnnkkks.

Actually the smell doesn't really bother me, but i don't want to be the smelly guy

Also thanks for the idea of cleaning out the line with a bit of brake fluid... i have that line sitting outside as i'm not sure how i was going to store it...

You can also stick a snug fitting bolt into the ends of the tubing to plug the open ends up and keep any left over oil from seeping out of the tubing while you store it.

You can also stick a snug fitting bolt into the ends of the tubing to plug the open ends up and keep any left over oil from seeping out of the tubing while you store it.

these frugal ideas really appeal to me. Especially after just buying a house:)

these frugal ideas really appeal to me. Especially after just buying a house:)

Time to become Mr.Fix-it! Good luck with the new house. :thumbsup:

Back