03 Explorer aftrmkt head unit install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer aftrmkt head unit install

joners

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hey guys, new to the site.

I just picked up an '03 Explorer XLT. Previous I had a '97 XLT and putting in an aftermarket H/U was tricky, as I didnt know it had a factory amplifier. Anyways I am assuming this newer 03 has the same thing and by the sounds of it, it also has a subwoofer.

When I did the 97 install, I couldnt find anyone in my city that knew what I was talking about, but I found a couple harness's online to unplug the amp harness and bypass it and use the deck power to power the speakers. I couldnt wait for one online so I just cut and solder the wires. Now I'd like to get the actual harness's or whatever I need for the '03, just wondering if someone could guide me to which harness's they would be. At least theres a CD player in it for now, but I would rather have MP3 capabilities as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe you will need the metra 70-5701. it will integrate the subwoofer amp. make sure you wire the included resistor inline with the remote turn on wire otherwise you will get a popping sound out of your sub everytime you turn your car on.

thanks!

also, how do you remove the factory head unit? does the large trim piece surrounding the entire deck/heater control just pop off?

that is correct. just pop off that bezel and there are two 7mm screws holding the radio in place.

Thanks DMac

Also gotta replace the blower motor switch, 2 and 3 are the same speed.

On which bezel? I'll assume the 03 because you did the 97 install. The 97 has two screws, the 03 has none. The 03 has to be pried off.

You are correct!

Thanks DMac

Also gotta replace the blower motor switch, 2 and 3 are the same speed.

before you replace the switch, check the blower motor resistors. it is a little board with a few resistors on it. i know that is a common fix for that problem.

It was the switch, I just pulled it apart and cleaned up the contacts, works good as new!

hello
I have 2003 Explorer with 6 disc changer, I am trying to new Stereo DVD system, I have also bought Metra 70-5701. I don't know which wires are for AMP so no Popping sound will come, ( I read people make mistakes and they end up with getting popping sound when changing radio station) and which wires for Steering wheel control.
Is there any video about it how to install ? I have search whole internet but no one have not make any video on explorer with 70-5701 installing. PLEASE HELP

I have used a step down converter 12V to 5V that will preclude the popping, I have the wiring schematic if you need.

Back