'03 Explorer to Aviator Engine Swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'03 Explorer to Aviator Engine Swap?

Willybythebay75

Reaction score
City, State
Seaside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Lincoln Aviator
Hello,
I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator, which I believe is in need of another engine. I was getting some knocking noise from the front of the engine. The car still preformed well while this noise was happening. It would be loud while the car was idle (it sounded a if i had a diesel engine under the hood). Well this occurred for a couple of months. I even took it to our local ford dealership but they could not diagnosis the noise? Well the engine finally called it quits and stopped running. Funny thing is, it acts as if it wants to crank but will not stay started. Could this be the timing chain? where the guides are broken? Could a Ford Explorer engine be installed in a Aviator?

If the timing chain skipped it could do what you are describing.

I'm not positive about the engine swap, but I do believe it's the same.

I retitled your thread to make it more descriptive. Hopefully someone will have a definitive answer about the swap.

Hello,
I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator, which I believe is in need of another engine. I was getting some knocking noise from the front of the engine. The car still preformed well while this noise was happening. It would be loud while the car was idle (it sounded a if i had a diesel engine under the hood). Well this occurred for a couple of months. I even took it to our local ford dealership but they could not diagnosis the noise? Well the engine finally called it quits and stopped running. Funny thing is, it acts as if it wants to crank but will not stay started. Could this be the timing chain? where the guides are broken? Could a Ford Explorer engine be installed in a Aviator?

I put a 08 Mustang 4.0 v6 into my Explorer. There are components you might need to move over from the Mounty to explorer or even Mustang. I like the Mustang engines better because they have lower miles and cheaper. The salvage yards are always asking more for Explorers because they are always looking for engines. I am eye balling an 03 limited right now but I have to sell a vehicle or 2 first.

Back