03 X No power windows...all wires to Switch hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 X No power windows...all wires to Switch hot.

90lxtc

Reaction score
I have a 03 X and all 4 power windows do not work...i have checked all fuses and they are good.

Swapped master switch panel with another that works 100% nothing.........

Tested voltage on the wires on back of master switch..ALL are hot all the time...doesn't change if you press up or down.

so I'm thinking that a ground wire is broken some where...

My question is if i pull the boot apart and look for the ground wire does it come into the kick panel area? all of the doors are grounded in the cab somewhere?

No body control module?

Im almost 100% positive there is a broken ground wire to the master switch but wanted to ask someone who has done this before...extra tips and tricks cant hurt.! thanks.

Welcome aboard! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If all else fails, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

Thanks...I found 2 Ground wires in the door boot broken. thick and thin black wire.

easiest way to fix is take the door panel off take the door speaker out...

Back