03 XLT Front End Repair Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 XLT Front End Repair Help

Hi guys, im new! Anyway i have a 2003 XLT and a few months back we had an ice storm and i slid into a mailbox and messed up t he front pretty bad. Pic is below. Anyway i was quoted at $1500 so i decided to get hte parts myself and do as much as possible. I have a new bumper cover, trim, and headlight panel. My question is how do i remove the front bumper? And does anyone in the INdianapolis area know of a shop that would do the body work of pulling a dent and painting it all for relatively cheap if i do the install? Thanks.

Pic:
Explorer.jpg

See if there's a Maaco in your area. We've had some pretty decent results with the local Maaco shop here. You do get what you pay for though...Maaco is cheap, but quality lots of times doesn't match what a more expensive shop delivers. If you're looking for a perfect job, you're going to have to spend a bit more. Look for a body shop that's I-Car certified. That's the equivilant of being ASE certified for mechanical repairs.

Also, check with some smaller used car dealerships...Ask where they get body repairs done. Us used car guys are cheap suckers, and usually have a pretty good hookup with a bodyman who does quality work reasonably.

I'm gonna move this to the Body work forum.. I would consult with Monmix, our resident auto body technician.

Thanks guys. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, Noob mistake!

Im more interested in how to get it off than where to go to get it painted, i need to get hte new parts on first. Thanks for all your help, keep ti comin!

Unfortunatley I have not done enough third gens to really be able to tell you how the front ends come off :(

A few tips is get the shop to paint the cover off the vehicle.
They will wnat to any way and it is a much better job.

Seeing the new cover off the car will help you figure out how to take the old one off.

See my body work 101 thread stickied at the top of this section. That is not too bad of a dent. You may or may not want to try it your self.
Make sure you have a new side marker light with you to fit up and check your work.

Good luck

PS I am getting married tomorrow and then honeymooning for a week, I would love to be of more help but it will have to wait till I get back.

Back