front end colision repair. help im an amatur | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end colision repair. help im an amatur

Ok some jack wad decided to run a light and hit my 2002 explorer xtl at 40 mph while I was crossing an intersection. Long story short, he had no insurance and I don't have $6k to pay for it to be fixed. My insurance was useless and I have little money.
Anyway got it home and stripped all the damaged panels away. went to a junk yard and got replacements and used that to teach me how to remove and replace panels. but have ran into a problem. damage was on the driver side, but the passenger quarter panel now rubs door so front support (unsure of proper term, the thing the panels mount to) may be bent. also my front support was damaged and is torn up behind the driver side headlight and quarter panel. lower metal panel below my battery box was bent upwards. everything front of the firewall is damaged. it all looks welded. is it possible to replace this or am I screwed. I'm still working on my suspension (cv axel, lower control arm, well most of it was destroyed by the collision). is this front support replaceable, or repairable? If so how do I do that? first post so sorry can't attach pics

sounds to me that the damage is fairly significant.

hop on to www.photobucket.com and they can host photos for you for free. Then you can link them here.

I can help you, I have been doing collision repair work for over fifteen years now, but I cant do jack with out seeing.

Repairing the front panel ( core support ) is possible depending on the amount of damage might have to be replaced. That said it still might need a structural pull. You would need a frame machine to do that.
Since your passenger door is rubbing on the fender I am fairly certain that this is the case.
Sorry :(

didn't think abut photo bucket but it works.

http://s701.photobucket.com/user/authemis/library/

you have a couple from the accident before panel removal and then a lot after panels removed. I will have to take more to show the panels rubbing but I have one from the passenger side showing trim separating from panel where its bent out do to core support being bent.

The lamp socket area is destroyed. and so it the wheel well panel. I think I see several spot welds, but am not sure. I guess I need to if the core support itself can be replaced. As soon as I get the suspension fixed to where its drivable I will have to take it somewhere to have the frame checked, but what can I do on my own?

thats bad.

Your full frame is bent too.

In a collision repair shop the insurance company would write this as a total loss.
I see no cheap or easy ( or safe ) way around this.

Back