05 escape drive shaft hanger support (center bearing) ???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 escape drive shaft hanger support (center bearing) ????

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
in around feb, i helped my sister find a 05 escape ltd. nice truck, she's happy with it (hell, i even like it). has roughly around 130kms on it (i think thats about 70 miles for you us guys). lately there is a vibration in the drive line at low speeds (doesn't matter if your going strait, or turning and only happens from 10kms a hour to 35kms a hour and only when on the gas). i looked under her truck and noticed it has a center bearing for the rear drive shaft. first thing i did was grab it, and see if i can shake it. sure enough, it moves around quite a bit. a good friend of mine, who is a very qualified mechanic may also think its a u joint (its not squeaking, and vibration stops after above said speed). me being me, i want to help her out (that and she doesnt have tons of money, otherwise i would pawn her off on my buddy to fix it) but after reading this http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/showthread.php?threadid=35327 i am a tad leary on trying to do it. ford says you need to replace the drive shaft (i call bullsh!t). has anyone here ever had to do this same job, if so, how difficult is it. i dont want to get elbow deep in it, mess it up, and have her without something to drive (because i will end up having to let her use my truck, and i really dont want that either).

Back