05 Explorer XLT Rear brake pads | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer XLT Rear brake pads

Oddly enough, my rear rotors came right off. It was wierd. I don't know if they are sitting on the ebrake wrong or what, but they slid right off. The calpiers were a ***** to get on and off. Nothing a small ball-peen hammer wouldnt fix.

I know this is a retarded as hell question, but how do I know they are working properly? Total noobish of me, but I like to know its working properly and Im just not raping my front brakes to death.

Also, how do I tell if one is sticking?

Edit : I is guud at grammar and speling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oddly enough, my rear rotors came right off. It was wierd. I don't know if they are sitting on the ebrake wrong or what, but they slid right off. The calpiers were a ***** to get on and off. Nothing a small ball-peen hammer wouldnt fix.

I know this is a retarded as hell question, but how do I know they are working properly? Total noobish of me, but I like to know its working properly and Im just not raping my front brakes to death.

Also, how do I tell if one is sticking?

Edit : I is guud at grammar and speling

Take the truck to a quiet road or parking lot and make a couple quick stops.
you'll know if you have no rear brakes.
And Im 100% positive your truck is fine
You probably had to pump the brake a few times after you put them on to get a firm pedal. This will expand the piston in the rear calipers to take up any slack with the new pads after you pushed it all the way back in.

07082009298.jpg

Does that look off to you? Does to me, the bottom of it is touching but the top isn't.

If a brake is dragging, will the car not move foward while idleing like it normally does?

Argg, if this is ####ed up,I'm retarded. I have all the normal braking power and all, so I know they work, I just wanna make sure I'm not dragging anything...

Does that look off to you? Does to me, the bottom of it is touching but the top isn't.

If a brake is dragging, will the car not move foward while idleing like it normally does?

Argg, if this is ####ed up,I'm retarded. I have all the normal braking power and all, so I know they work, I just wanna make sure I'm not dragging anything...

If you got the caliper bolts back in nice and tight...I think you're fine...The pad will seat itself after a few miles.

Ill let them seat themselfs for a week or so, if it doesnt work, Ill redo them. Since I actually know what to do, it shouldnt be to hard this time:p

Thanks Curtis!

Edit : I just double checked the old pads. They all have similar wear patterns where they are less faded on one side.

Back