05 Possible head gasket issue - white smoke from engine bay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Possible head gasket issue - white smoke from engine bay

beauexplorer92

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer XLT 4x4
Callsign
photobeau
Hey everyone,

Since I need some help quick and answers specific to my vehicle, I'll try to not waste anyone's time here and I'll be as short but also as complete with this as possible, but if there is any advice anyone can give me on the order of what to check that would be a great start. If anyone after reading this has any idea on ballpark costs this is going to be please let me know too... Unfortunately, I needed this purchase to be smooth w/o repairs and this is big and sucks bad, I'm a college student and this as my last student loan and I'm really screwed right now without a vehicle.

Incident: When parking at home today, the vehicle smelt sweet of coolant, and some white smoke flowed out from the hood. The smoke was noticeable, but it wasn't a cloud that was heavy and dissipated in a few minutes, but it was from the engine bay. I did not notice if there was anything from the exhaust (I know this is an extremely important factor though).

Vehicle Info: 2005, Explorer XLT 4x4, 4.0, 157,x.. miles - If there is anything else that would be helpful please let me know and I'll try to find that information out.

Vehicle History: I purchased this vehicle from a private party 4 days ago. I did not notice any issues when inspecting it or test driving it. There was no overheating (or the dash gauge doesn't work), the engine sounds super smooth and feels great when driving, transmission shifts smooth, didn't feel any issues with brakes or suspension, and it passed SMOG, and AC worked great. The person I bought it from was just flipping it, they did an oil change (I think this is important on the timing). The vehicle is in great condition overall, besides having leather seats lol.

My thoughs (as a non-mechanic): From what I know in my limited experience and knowledge, is that this points towards most likely a head gasket. If the guy changed the oil and it lasted only a few days basically, I wouldn't think it would be something minor/less than that. However, being how good the engine runs, I'm not thinking it is a head let alone the block... That is my quick logic on that based on what I've read so far... The hoses look newer, don't see cracks. The engine is still hot from the incident, so i have NOT opened anything up to look at fluids. Another important note, I do NOT see any type of leaks. I have NOT noticed anything from the exhaust, but I have also not explicitly looked. The plan now is to let it cool down and I'm having a friend come over in the morning to help since he has a better idea than me.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Well you need to leave it running and open the hood while it's steaming to see where it's coming from. Could just be a cracked water outlet. If it's coming from the radiator cap then either the cap is bad or a leaking head gasket is causing too much pressure.

steam from engine bay is coolant you have a leak, hose thermostat heater hose,something like that.. most likely not head gasket they tend to leak internally and come out the exhaust..

steam from engine bay is coolant you have a leak, hose thermostat heater hose,something like that.. most likely not head gasket they tend to leak internally and come out the exhaust..

Except in the case of a HG putting pressure in the cooling system causing the coolant cap to vent...

Back