• Register Today It's free!

05 st 4x4 5r55e transmission help

Johnnyb83

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 sport trac 4x4 xlt
New member but recently dedicated fan of the forum..

Ok problem appeared on freeway. Wont lie, i floored it to pass someone who wouldnt let me get over.. when i put the pedal down felt as if the truck went into neutral. I quickly found that warm or cold. I can start in either 1,2 on the tree. Then i can shift into drive as long as overdrive was turned off. Once up to 45 i can turn od back on. My reverse works sometimes. I have to shift from park to 2 to reverse at which point it sometimes engages. Drive if babied and im talking my grandmother can scoot along faster in her walker and beat this thing 100feet before it engages enough to go if started in drive.. so the million dollar question.. whats wrong with that tranny? Sounds like fords private joke of a game show lol

Ive noticed reverse becoming stronger in pasy few days.. I do my best not to drive it but sometimes im forced to due to lack of vehicles per adults because mine is down.. I will add i dont have the best of luck owning cars/trucks/suvs. I do all my own mechanical work and follow specs to a T.

Vehicle specs and repairs made below
2005 ford explorer sporttrac xlt
4.0l
5r55e 4x4 trans
177k miles
Recently purchased on 10-2-19
Engine oil / filter change on purchase date

Replaced trans filter and trans oil pan gasket along with fluid recommended merc v after trans problem

Repaired massive trans fluid leak in filler tube.. the tans fluid dip stick tube had a five inch long hole in it where the dipstick would rub the inside of the tube at a bend.

Back