05 XLS seat wiring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dickendd

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS
Hi All, I'm thinking about upgrading the interior of my 2005 Explorer XLS to leather from an 04 Mountaineer with power motion and heat. I've seen a couple of threads about doing this, and some confusing accounts of which wires an XLS will already have and not have. Attached is a picture of the existing wires under my seat. My current seats do not have power or heat, but there are a couple of wires/harnesses.

I am going to check out the seats from the Mounty after work today, and would like to know if this is even possible with my current setup and lack of electrical skills. If anybody has any suggestions or wiring diagrams, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

wires_under_seat_2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need to run all new wiring for this mod to work. You could grab as much wiring with the Mounty seats as you can, but you'll have to splice wire in and run to the battery somehow. Definitely grab the connectors for the seats, the ones that plug into the seat. To wire this in "naturally" will be fairly dificult as it goes through a shared connector. Possible, but you'd need OE style pins.

Do the mod though and you'll like it.

memory module removal?

Thanks for the input, I ended up buying them. It looks like I'll have to run all new wiring like you said, but one problem is that the driver seat appears to have the memory module in it, and the doors were already removed from the truck so I don't have the memory controls.

Does anybody know how to remove the memory module or bypass it somehow?

So, the modular is part of the seat then?

Two things, snag this from another car, or ignore it.
Seats are hot at all times. I'd think they'd work without it. Just need to disregard the wires for the memory function. But I've not worked with memory seats.

There is a black box with Motorola on it that I've read is the memory control module or whatever it's called, but what I don't have is the actual buttons that are on the door panel that you select which memory setting to use with. I guess I could try and find the controls and try to actually use the memory settings, but I was planning on just bypassing it if possible.

Back