06 4.0 noise. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 4.0 noise.

Does anyone ever do just the front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone ever do just the front?

Yes just the primary tensioner goes bad often. You cant do the left side without retiming the whole motor.

I charge $1k labor to install chains on a 4.0. Quality parts can be another grand.
I'd send it your way if we were closer. The kids are talking about getting another car, but to me it seems like spending ~$2000 is a better deal than buying another car. It's in pretty good shape, reman transmission put in less than a year ago, new alternator and battery. I feel like it would be hard to sell or trade in.

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but this is a "don't drive it anymore" situation, right? My son needed to go to for a short ride, and I almost told him to take the explorer.....

It’s a gamble. If it jumps time the motor is basically junk.

Is it worth it to grab one a new tensioner and put it in and cross our fingers?

I've seen everything. Fom the rear jackshaft bolt breaking from the chain getting cought on the mounting bolt to the chain eating through the bolt and through the aluminum head all the way into the head bolt (and still run).

Don't bother with the hydraulic tensioners at this point, you might let what's left hanging on it drop into the motor.

In your case 2006-2010

If you get a different motor you’ll still want to replace the timing components. Unless your motor is damaged or worn out, it’s probably best to pull yours and fix it.

If you get a different motor you’ll still want to replace the timing components. Unless your motor is damaged or worn out, it’s probably best to pull yours and fix it.
I don't know how to do that. I can swap a motor though.

This will just happen to the replacement.

Would anyone buy this thing in this condition? I'm trying to convince the kids to get it fixed. I know it's a $5-6k car in good running condition. I can't see spending another 6k for a different car when they can just fix the explorer.

I would fix it if it's in good shape but my opinion is bias because I love these trucks

Would anyone buy this thing in this condition? I'm trying to convince the kids to get it fixed. I know it's a $5-6k car in good running condition. I can't see spending another 6k for a different car when they can just fix the explorer.
The truth is with any used vehicle it’s always a gamble. They could easily be in the same situation after spending another $6k and as sad as this sounds, $5-6k doesnt really get you much of a car that’s not already in worn condition. As much as I hate to say it if they’re going to get another vehicle it better be a Honda or a Toyota because those are going to be your best bet when it comes to buying high mileage vehicles.

Now on the other hand if they get the explorer fixed for $2500 plus maybe a couple other maintanance items they would know the engine was solid. Despite the stupid plastic tensioners this is a German built engine and I believe for the most part it’s made very well. My only other immediate concerns would be transmission, radiator and front hubs. I had to replace my front hubs at 100k as well as the radiator, I did them myself and aside from tools the hubs cost me $330 for a set of Timkins. Les Schwabb wanted $500 each hub and that was ultimately when I decided I’d start working on my own vehicles. The radiator cost $120 but I’m sure a shop would’ve charged me $600-$700 for the repair. The 5r55s transmissions are kind of hit and miss, I unfortunately got a lemon tranny that I’ve been battling with for a while and am about to just put a remann into it. All that being said, it’s never left me stranded and always got me home and I’m not exactly easy on mine. I take good care of it but I use it hard when I’m out in the boonies and perhaps that’s why I’ve seen more repairs. I also know that the parts I’ve mentioned are common problems on these explorers.

If it were me, I’d put the $2500 into the explorer’s engine and save the other $3500 for potential repairs. They’re not going to get any money for it in its current condition if they’re truthful to possible buyers about the rattling noise. Just my honest opinion

I am really pushing them to have it fixed. They had a reman transmission put in less than a year ago. I put a battery and alternator in it within the last year too. There is not much out there in the $5-6 k range that would be any better than this, if it were fixed.
I work in a car dealer and I tried to explain to them that I see people drop $2500 on their vehicles all the time. It's just part of owning a car.

I am really pushing them to have it fixed. They had a reman transmission put in less than a year ago. I put a battery and alternator in it within the last year too. There is not much out there in the $5-6 k range that would be any better than this, if it were fixed.
I work in a car dealer and I tried to explain to them that I see people drop $2500 on their vehicles all the time. It's just part of owning a car.
Yeah, I push them to keep it, especially with a new trans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying

I agree that repairing it is probably the best choice here. an Example - I have a 95' Suburban. In February 2016 with 187k miles on it the transmission cratered. It was still in pretty good shape otherwise so I paid $2000 to have the transmission rebuilt. Now in February 2019 with 211k miles on it, I am pretty happy that I repaired it and didn't try to get another used vehicle. Moving to another vehicle would have cost me a lot more than $2000, not to mention that I would have got close to nothing in return for a broken down Suburban.

Back