• Register Today It's free!

'06 Exploder- stuff to watch for?

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
Hi! I recently purchased an '06 Explorer XLT with 4WD and the class III/IV hitch with 42,000 miles and the 6cyl engine. Body is in great shape, drives nice and smooth. The bumper-to-bumper warranty that came with it from the Ford dealer only runs for a bit; anything I should look for in a truck like this to crap out about this mileage?! Any advice is appreciated! I also have a '97 Explorer XL with the 5-speed manual and 184,000 miles, and it would be nice to have the '06 last almost that long//

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radiator, keep an eye on it. there is a known problem at about 36-50xxx miles they start to leak.

My 06 xls v6 i did a tail light (moisture), 2 rear drivers side window motors, 2 thermostat housings, 1 radiator

thats why i got rid of it.

In a word...

In a word...RADIATOR.

You will find much said about the '06 Explorer and it's radiator failure rate in this forum.

Good luck.

do u got pics of ur 06

Sorry mate - I'd have to add radiator too. I've got my fingers crossed you don't get that problem.

Many thanks about the radiator issue-- I will keep an eye on it! I have a bumper-to-bumper warranty good for 3000 miles, so if I have any hint of that showing up, I will be sure to get it corrected.. Never had an issue with the radiator on my '94 or '97 Exploders, but I suppose this '06 is a whole different beast..

do u got pics of ur 06

No pics yet, but I will get some on here soon I hope/ I am bummed that I have never put any pics of my old 5-speed manual '97 on here yet after all these years, or my '08 Ranger while I had it!

06 was the first year of the re-design. I believe that the problem was corrected about half way through the model ( i may be wrong though). If you still have the chance, i would look into the extended warranty. the radiator installed is about 1000 or so.

06 was the first year of the re-design. I believe that the problem was corrected about half way through the model ( i may be wrong though). If you still have the chance, i would look into the extended warranty. the radiator installed is about 1000 or so.

My '06 was manufactured in May 2006, so right at the end of the 2006 model year... hopefully mine is one of them that was corrected at the back half of the model year!

Which dealership are you getting it from? I am actually in the apple valley area.

Which dealership are you getting it from? I am actually in the apple valley area.

Got it from Apple Valley Ford... the sales guy who sold it to me is a good guy, real low key... he was the same guy who sold me my '08 Ranger, and he used to work at the old Apple Ford Lakeville (Lakeville Ford) before they consolidated. He was a service writer before he got in to the sales thing, so he knows his Fords pretty good..

Thanks!!

Thanks to all who who responded to my post and said that I should keep an eye on the radiator on the '06 Exploder that I just got. Sure enough, just this past week, with just over 43,000 miles on it and having had my '06 for just under a month, I noticed that it was dumping some fluid on my garage floor from the radiator area... so right away I took it in to have it looked at, and sure enough, after a pressure test and inspection, the radiator was leaking! Luckily the repair was free of charge since it was still under my limited-time warranty.. this forum really works!!

CAUTION CAUTION you may fall in love with your explorer!!! Just my two cents but be carefull or you may end up like several members on this forum including myself and some how find yourself buying another one a few years down the road.:D

Good job on getting that replaced on someone else's dime!!!

We told ya so!! j/k Good luck with it. I loved mine, it was the biggest money pit for a vehicle i have ever owned.

All of you pls be mindful of the tire press sensors while removing the old tyres for replacement. Make sure you caution the tyre technician technician.
My XLS 2006 was due for a tyre change and the mechanic broke the sensor while removing the ol tyre off the wheel.

My XLS 2006 was due for a tyre change and the mechanic broke the sensor while removing the ol tyre off the wheel.

What would I caution them about doing....or not doing in regards to the sensor?

I just bought a 2006 XLT this weekend myself. So far, no leaks, but I'm only at 25K miles. I see why there are so many of them on the road.

Dang, don't get me started on tire pressure sensors. What a pain. The tire techs need to break the bead in the correct spot or they'll bust the TPMS sensors. They are mounted on bands on the middle of the rim, sort of like a big hose clamp. The techs need to break the bead right at the tire air stem, since the sensors are mounted 180 degrees from that.

You might do a search on this forum for other comments on TPMS sensors.

TPMS sensors broken

I agree! I took my Explorer to Sears and they broke one of my sensors. It took them four days to get a replacement and then they didn't know how to set it up...Nonetheless, they learned! No more sensor problems and I got great Michelling tires...now to deal with Radiator issues!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire sensors

I agree on the tire sensors! No problems with mine until the temp dropped to -10F, then sure enough, the tire pressure light went on. Checked the tire pressure and it was in normal range, had to have the Ford guys come out with their electrical doohickey to reset the light. Luckily it hasnt went on again since then even though it got even colder for a couple weeks after that..

Back