06 Explorer 4.6L sputters in over-drive | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer 4.6L sputters in over-drive

If you get a misfire, and a code reader that gives you the cylinder number, the first thing you should do is swap that coil with another (good) coil on another cylinder. Takes 5 minutes and could avoid messing with the plugs unnecessarily. Reset the code reader and go for a drive until it throws another code. If it moved to the other cylinder, you know it's the coil. If it's stays with the same cylinder, THEN pull the plug.

I did this and ended up change just that plug, since the previous owner had change the plugs not long before I bought. Just got a bad plug I guess. Haven't had a problem since.

This is a good and free way to diagnose your problem,.. but is time consuming :) good to hear this worked for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The local independent mechanic read the codes again and said missfires in 1,3 and 8! The dealer who just sold me a new #7 plug and coil said nothing about those....The local guy mentioned a crankshaft position sensor. It was short $ so I decided to try a new crankshaft position sensor and no luck. Runs just the same.
I cleaned off the tops of the coil packs and put down their location on tape.
I took #7 (brand new) and put it on #8. #1 became #2 and #3 became #4.
Took it for a ride and ran great! No sputtering after a 5 mile trip!
#8 coil pack lower boot was wet. When I looked at it last time it was wet and there was water around the plug.
I haven't washed the engine lately so I don't know what that could be from. It is clear when I sop it up w/a white paper towel but it does smell sweet!!!!
I'll run it until it happens again then I'll check for more moisture under the boot.
Why would swapping the coil packs make it run better?
I disconnected the battery to reset the CEL that has been on constantly lately.
The only thing I can think of is the moisture in #8.
I never changed the spark plugs.

Welcome to the # 8 wet plug club :)

I know I am the member of it.

When I had a misfire at 99k miles, I went to change my plugs. #8 refused to come out and broke in half leaving the tread part in the head. I drilled the hole, screw in a sparkplug adaptor from a 4.6 2 valve triton and put the HT1 plug in there.

I still had misfire, when I pulled # 8 it was full of water so I got scared that I cracked the head when I was drilling. But it was pure water, not antifreeze.

It turns out that when it rains, the water comes down the windshield, and then drips down on #8 thru a hole in the winshield shroud. Take a garden house and slowly pour water on the windshiled, open the hood and look where it drips. What I did I installed a piece of alluminium gutter from siding section at home depot to divert water to the sides.

Brilliant Ford engineers.

will too much anti seize on the plug cause any malfunction?
Using the TSB I applied it to the plug where shown.
Not sure how much they want on there but my brush only applies so much (maybe too much)?

So 8 new plugs and 4 new coil packs.
Let's see what we have.
I torqued them down to 15 ft*lbs
Used the TSB and couldn't get any of the pass side plugs out (1 thru 4).
Used the Motorcraft carb cleaner and no dice.
Got the car hot then let it cool down w/out the coil packs. When warm the 4 plugs came out no problem.
Really no build up at all. They looked rusty actually possibly from running the truck w/the carb cleaner once it penetrated.
Wiped off all the antiseize that was on the threads but it was almost all burnt off after only a 10 minute ride.
So 15 ft*lbs should be ok with antisieze and a warm block?

so i guess i will pop off the coil packs once again and tighten the plugs to 25 ft*lbs. Amazing what a little reading will do for ya....

Back