06 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 explorer

fordman21

Reaction score
Hey I'm new on this site but so far everybody seems pretty knowledgeable. My wife has found a 06 explorer eb 4x4 with 4.6 loaded down with everything you could possibly need with 70k on the clock. Just wondering if there is anything I need to look for before buying. It looks to be in really good shape. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the VIN# to a Ford dealership and pull up it's service record. Have a local shop check it out also for obvious problems.

Make sure there's no weird rust on it anywhere. Also, make sure to test the transmission really well. Go about 15mph then slow down almost to a stop, but don't stop completely, then start moving again and see if it clunks. And slowly brake to a stop to see if there's any clunking while completely stopping. If not, then you're good.

Can you find out if the sparkplugs have been changed ? If not, do lots of reading about that here and on F150 forum.

I would do the spark plugs sooner than later. The longer they are in, the more buildup occurs, and the higher the chance of breakage. That's if you intend to do the job yourself.

If you'll have the dealer do the plugs, it doesn't matter. They will charge you a certain amount, assuming some or all of them will break, and the cost of the extractor tool.

If you'll have the dealer do the plugs, it doesn't matter. They will charge you a certain amount, assuming some or all of them will break, and the cost of the extractor tool.

I'm not sure if I interpreted you correctly, but when they did my plugs they said they would charge a base price along with extra cost for each broken plug. Luckily, they didn't break any plugs.

Your dealer was nice. I've heard of other dealers that charge a flat rate assuming they will break a few, plus the cost of the tool.

Some dealers are more reasonable. I like they way you described it.

Your dealer was nice. I've heard of other dealers that charge a flat rate assuming they will break a few, plus the cost of the tool.

Some dealers are more reasonable. I like they way you described it.

I see. They charged me $200 to change the plugs (price of plugs included), but they also charged me like $140 to reattach the rear defroster wire, which was ridiculous.

$200 is reasonable, considering the Double Platinum Champions are $20 each at an autoparts store. Even if they don't break any, only $80 labor (about 1 hour) is great, considering how careful they have to be, following their own TSB.

$ 200 to change 8 plugs on Explorer ??? What is the list price for a plug from dealer, something like 20 bucks, so not sure how they came up with 200. Great price.
I checked with 3 dealers before I did it myself, and they all quoted me $ 395 base plus 150 for each broken one.

$ 200 to change 8 plugs on Explorer ??? What is the list price for a plug from dealer, something like 20 bucks, so not sure how they came up with 200. Great price.
I checked with 3 dealers before I did it myself, and they all quoted me $ 395 base plus 150 for each broken one.

Yeah, it was weird how they priced it. But I wasn't going to complain. :D They also quoted me $450 for a job that took me 15 minutes and the part cost $50.

Like "Willied" said, check that granny really good. I was told by a tyranny mechanic that those transmissions are notorious for shifting problems starting around 150,00 miles. Had to have my '06 tranny (2x4) rebuilt around 210,000. Mostly hiway driving, but wanted to keep it. Got around 325,000 on it now.

Back