07 XLT delayed transmission functions (5R55S) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 XLT delayed transmission functions (5R55S)

bigjoncoop

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT V6, Ironm
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4.0
Transmission: 5R55S

**Already need to replace the transmission solenoid pack for a different issue. Details below.

***Also curious if maybe replacing the solenoid pack will also fix these new issues... Thoughts?

Issue:
1. Occasionally when the car is cold and you put it into gear, it doesn't "engage" / or go into gear. Then I'll put it into neutral, wait a sec then into the opposite gear (D-N-R or vice versa) and then engages like normal....

When it does this and you just hit the gas, it will slip and then slam into gear really hard! (doesn't sound healthy 😳)

2. Also recently starting about the same time, if you're at cruising speed (45mph+) and decelerate quickly to a full stop, it seems a if the transmission doesn't down shift fully into 1st gear... So when you go to take off again it's sort of slips and then jams into first gear...

More Info/Previous on-going issue :

Ever since I purchased this vehicle it's had a issue when shifting into 3rd gear. When it comes out of 2nd togo into 3rd, it will slip and Rev and then go into 3rd. It also throws the check engine light. Need to replace the solenoid pack in the transmission.

I haven't done it yet since I've learned how to just feather the gas at a specific moment so it will shift into 3rd fine.

But now with these other issues happening, I'm wondering if they could also be related to the solenoid pack as well... Maybe replacing it will solve all the issues...

What's your thoughts?

Back