S.O.S!.!.! 5r55s - LOST 3RD GEAR COMPLETELY - STRANDED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

S.O.S!.!.! 5r55s - LOST 3RD GEAR COMPLETELY - STRANDED

bigjoncoop

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT V6, Ironm
I've got a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 I believe it has a 5r55s transmission.

Just now as it was shifting into third gear, I heard a clunk or clang and it just completely lost 3rd gear!!!

Ever since I bought the vehicle it's had an issue going into third gear and it would slip a little bit, but if you feathered the gas just right it would go into it no problem. The OBD2 info pointed to a bad solenoid B in the solenoid pack.

I was able to get the car back to the house where im staying for the holidays. I either had to keep the car in 2nd, but I was able to rev it high enough while driving in second and then putting it into drive and it barely was able to jump into 4th...

I just checked OBD2 fault codes and it's showing code P1700 (Transmission: Damaged internal components)

Thankfully I always travel with all of my Mechanics Tools. And I am stuck at my brother's house and he has lots of tools and Jacks and everything else. I've never worked on the transmission before but I'm VERY mechanically inclined...

Can anyone give me some advice please on what could be the culprit? And/or steps to start diagnosing what the issue is....

Im praying it's not a broken band etc... Hoping possibly could be selonoid or plunger thing... Idk... But if I have to drop the tranny, I'm prepared to do so!

I do not have the money to purchase a new transmission or a car for that matter! So I am willing to do everything it takes to get this fixed myself.

PLEASE HELP THANKS

You cannot keep driving with bad shift solenoids or kablooey

The shift solenoids are cheap and rather easy to replace

You will have to remove the transmission pan
And be ready to catch 5 quarts of fluid. We use a $10 mortar mixing tray from Home Depot for this. Once you remove the pan you will find out if the trans is toast or not.
Shift solenoid b is about $35 and takes about an hour to install
There are two shift solenoids a and b
There is a epc solenoid (elec press control)
And a tcc solenoid (torque converter contro)

We usually replace all solenoids as a pack along with the filter and new fluid, parts they are cheap enough

It
Maybe too late for your 5r from the sounds of it

Drop pan check condition of fluid, look for any broken parts, clutch band material or what we call “glitter” if so… it’s reman time

I think that the intermediate band has broken or the intermediate servo has failed.

You could check the intermediate band adjustment, if it screws in more than 3 turns the band is probably broken. Hopefully, it will tighten, and you can just adjust it back out 2 turns and pull the servo, hopefully, that's where the failure is.

My bet is on the band.

Back