08 Ltd 4.6 - Replace just front muffler or front muffler all the way back? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 Ltd 4.6 - Replace just front muffler or front muffler all the way back?

I know this is an ancient thread, but did you ever replace the factory muffler with the AP? Did it sound the same? Has it rotted out yet? I'm deciding if I really need the Ford $400 replacement. My experience with Walker stainless aftermarket is that they last 2 years. How'd you make out?
I did replace the factory muffler with the AP. It sounded mostly the same but the AP muffler was of poor construction. The pipe used on the inlet was smaller diameter than on the factory muffler, and it wasn't mandrel bent. The AP looked cheap and restrictive. Shortly after installing the AP, the factory resonator blew out internally and I regretted not purchasing a complete catback from the start.
If any component of your factory catback is bad I recommend replacing it entirely with an aftermarket catback-not AP.
Factory muffler vs AP.
Vx2jaaY.jpg

yN7a1wk.jpg

I did replace the factory muffler with the AP. It sounded mostly the same but the AP muffler was of poor construction. The pipe used on the inlet was smaller diameter than on the factory muffler, and it wasn't mandrel bent. The AP looked cheap and restrictive. Shortly after installing the AP, the factory resonator blew out internally and I regretted not purchasing a complete catback from the start.
If any component of your factory catback is bad I recommend replacing it entirely with an aftermarket catback-not AP.
Factory muffler vs AP.
View attachment 326139
View attachment 326140
Thanks for the follow-up, Lugnut. Replacement exhaust parts have long been a problem. Most are priced cheap and you get what you pay for. I don't want to replace mufflers every two years. The other problem is cheap stuff means young people with no money buy them. They like loud. So if you want a quiet aftermarket exhaust you have few choices. No choices actually. I may be stuck forking over $400 to Ford. At least their square muffler will get me ten years service and sound like a new car.

Back