• Register Today It's free!

1.5 Torsion key

ldrxplr

Reaction score
City, State
Streetsboro,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
I am new to explorers and was looking to raise mine "a 95 xlt" the two inches with a torsion twist. I cam across a lift designed to do a 1.5 leveling for 98-01 explorers from tuff country. I was under the impretion that 95-01 used the same suspension. I really liked the idea of getting to the 1.5 with no erxtra tension and only needing to go a little more tourqe to get an extra .5
Does anyone have experince with this kit. Ford Explorer (Torsion bar keys) 1998-2001 1.5" 22907 .
Its $130.00 but if its not going to add much tension to the bars i figure its got to be better then adding stress to the torions. Maybe im wrong and tell me if i am. I just got this truck and it still has the origanly suspenison on it at over 200k so it rides like a rock due to the shocks being frozen so im redoing all the suspension as it is. Dont want to go extreme with the truck just looking for a little lift like tt and 3 inch body lift to get some 30's on it.
Well thanks in advance for any help and give me any insight on this kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am new to explorers and was looking to raise mine "a 95 xlt" the two inches with a torsion twist. I cam across a lift designed to do a 1.5 leveling for 98-01 explorers from tuff country. I was under the impretion that 95-01 used the same suspension. I really liked the idea of getting to the 1.5 with no erxtra tension and only needing to go a little more tourqe to get an extra .5
Does anyone have experince with this kit. Ford Explorer (Torsion bar keys) 1998-2001 1.5" 22907 .
Its $130.00 but if its not going to add much tension to the bars i figure its got to be better then adding stress to the torions. Maybe im wrong and tell me if i am. I just got this truck and it still has the origanly suspenison on it at over 200k so it rides like a rock due to the shocks being frozen so im redoing all the suspension as it is. Dont want to go extreme with the truck just looking for a little lift like tt and 3 inch body lift to get some 30's on it.
Well thanks in advance for any help and give me any insight on this kit.

stock tires a 29" i believe. You can fit 31's with no lift and no fender trimming. if all you want is 30's dont waste money on lifting it, spend the money on new shocks, and other various engine parts that are due to fail being that it is over 200k.

yea i know its going to need work on the engine and the suspension is going to be completly redone. I wanted to do a little lift on it as i hate the way it sits now, and figured this would be the time to do it since its going to be all apart.
The engine is well maintained so its not as much a concern even though i know it may need a rebuild. I know the previous owner and am amazed at how little has been replaced. 99% of its driving for its whole life was freeway 60mph(guy was affraid to speed) so its actually better then you'd belive engine wise. Heck the fuel pump lasted over 200k!!!!!

those torsion bar "keys" do essentially the same thing as a torsion twist.
it just increases the tension on the bars, creating lift and a (slightly) rougher ride.

and you don't need any lift at all to fit 30's.

yea i know its going to need work on the engine and the suspension is going to be completly redone. I wanted to do a little lift on it as i hate the way it sits now, and figured this would be the time to do it since its going to be all apart.
The engine is well maintained so its not as much a concern even though i know it may need a rebuild. I know the previous owner and am amazed at how little has been replaced. 99% of its driving for its whole life was freeway 60mph(guy was affraid to speed) so its actually better then you'd belive engine wise. Heck the fuel pump lasted over 200k!!!!!

Well when you replace the shocks do the leaf springs too. Old and worn they are most likely sagging due to age. Maybe a leaf pack from an explorer at a junk yard with fewer miles if you can find it. If all you want is the look then go with a 2" body lift. Not as pricey as a full suspension kit and looks just as good. If you have the tools and know how you can DIY, there are a couple threads on it I believe.

I read some more and with what your saying looks like i will be putting larger tires then 30's. Looks like ill just do shackles and tt if i snap a torsion bar i'll look into the reindexed keys. As far as the leafs and shocks, when i said do the suspension I ment all new ball joints tierods springs shocks the works this truck has not had anything touched on suspenion besides upper right ball joint and tie rods once all other stuff came from the factory. Does anyone have any suspension stuff they recomend thats good for mild offroad and mostly street driving. Not looking to go all oem when I redo the truck, and this is a different road then the camaro i was built.

I read some more and with what your saying looks like i will be putting larger tires then 30's. Looks like ill just do shackles and tt if i snap a torsion bar i'll look into the reindexed keys. As far as the leafs and shocks, when i said do the suspension I ment all new ball joints tierods springs shocks the works this truck has not had anything touched on suspenion besides upper right ball joint and tie rods once all other stuff came from the factory. Does anyone have any suspension stuff they recomend thats good for mild offroad and mostly street driving. Not looking to go all oem when I redo the truck, and this is a different road then the camaro i was built.

I believe the Rancho 9000's is what a lot of the guys use. Lets see some pics when you get it done an or in process. I doubt you'll snap a torsion bar. Just keep the TT under 2" if you have 4wd. Good luck!!

I've only ever seen 1 thread here, where somebody snapped is torsion bar... and it was much more than "mild" wheeling.

also, if you do happen to snap one, re-keyed torsion keys will do nothing about the amount of tension on the torsion bars; as I said earlier, they do the same thing as a torsion twist, they just allow you for much more adjustment. You will gain nothing out of the keys over a TT. Except the possibility of getting a bit more lift. And if it's 4WD, you don't want too much anyway.

The only thing those torsion Keys do is lift money from your pocket.
If you want to buy them, then by all means buy them. It's your money, but you would be spending your money foolishly. The torsion bar twist will do the exact same thing, and it cost you Nothing.

I have only heard of one person who broke a torsion bar, and he has abused his truck doing some of the nations toughest trails.

cool thanks all for your help looks like ill be cranking those bars soon. ill get some pics soon of the truck. Shes a little rought got some rust especialy on the fuel door. But its been in ohio for all its life and over 200k of ohio winters. Im going to replace the one bad balljoint tonight and see if it needs anything else before hitting the road. Parked it due to a reall bad balljoint. Then working on shocks and possibly leafs come next weekend. IT is leaning preety good to the right so i got to see whats up there.

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread but I have a question. I have about less than an inch or so showing left on each torsion bolt and I doubt I'd get 2 inches of lift out of it. I don't like the idea of buying torsion keys but would I get more lift out of it? Don't really want to but a new bolt either just for more lift. Other options?

ldrxplr: If you're trying for anything approaching a 2" lift, I'd recommend having the alignment checked when you're done.

ryan: check the torsion twist sticky thread. People have ordered new bolts from Fastenal for not too much money that has enabled them to get more lift from a TT. All the bolt specs that you'll need are listed in that thread.

Back