• Register Today It's free!

1.5inch body lift??

97Mounty97

Reaction score
City, State
Port Huron, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I read a thread on here the link is http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312012 and he did a 1.5 inch body lift for less than $50 with out steering extension or bumper brackets and only had to trim the fan shroud. But this was on a newer explorer.

So would this work on my 97 mountaineer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In theory, yes. The body lift works the same as far as the steering and fan shroud, but your bumpers are different. The later models have their metal bumpers covered by plastic fascia. They didn't move their bumpers, they just moved the plastic fascia up with the body. Your metal bumpers are exposed so if you don't move them up there will be a gap in between the bumpers and the body. Some people don't mind the gap, I personally think it's ugly but that's just me.

Be prepared for the bumpers, hitch, and exhaust to hang low. Exhaust is easy to fix, bumpers can be fixed if you fabricate new brackets or have new bumpers made, hitch can't be fixed. You'll need a new hitch that rides higher, or a custom hitch.

In theory, yes. The body lift works the same as far as the steering and fan shroud, but your bumpers are different. The later models have their metal bumpers covered by plastic fascia. They didn't move their bumpers, they just moved the plastic fascia up with the body. Your metal bumpers are exposed so if you don't move them up there will be a gap in between the bumpers and the body. Some people don't mind the gap, I personally think it's ugly but that's just me.

Okay awesome thank you! Yeah I would definitely make some new bumper brackets if I do this.

Be prepared for the bumpers, hitch, and exhaust to hang low. Exhaust is easy to fix, bumpers can be fixed if you fabricate new brackets or have new bumpers made, hitch can't be fixed. You'll need a new hitch that rides higher, or a custom hitch.

I wouldn't really mind the hitch but for the exhaust and bumpers I'd definitely fix

I wouldn't really mind the hitch but for the exhaust and bumpers I'd definitely fix

Just curious have you seen a truck with a BL and lifted bumpers but a stock hitch.... :eek: it's god awful

Just curious have you seen a truck with a BL and lifted bumpers but a stock hitch.... :eek: it's god awful

I'd like to see pics of the lower hitch. I'm hoping for a 1.5" BL and a 2" aal/coil spacer lift in my 1st gen...

I'd like to see pics of the lower hitch. I'm hoping for a 1.5" BL and a 2" aal/coil spacer lift in my 1st gen...

Look at body lifts on google. You'll see it. I've seen a few riding around town :eek:

I did a 2" BL without the steering extension on my '97. I didn't keep track of the cost. I bought a couple new bolts and a couple new mounts. I didn't touch my bumpers because I knew I wasn't keeping them. I didn't trim the fan shroud- instead I made some simple lowering brackets for the shroud.

Check my registry for pics.

I did a 2" BL without the steering extension on my '97. I didn't keep track of the cost. I bought a couple new bolts and a couple new mounts. I didn't touch my bumpers because I knew I wasn't keeping them. I didn't trim the fan shroud- instead I made some simple lowering brackets for the shroud.

Oh cool yeah I'll definitely check yours out. Could you post a link??

I've seen it with a 3inch BL but I dont think an 1.5inch BL will be too bad

Is there anyway you can post pictures on the lowering brackets you made to lower the fan shroud??

Back