Has anybody done a 1.5" body lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anybody done a 1.5" body lift?

crankyjew

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
My truck is sitting on 32's right now, with a tt/shackle lift. been happy with it so far, but I'd like to move up to proper 33's soon.
I found the 1.5" body lift thread in the 02-05 forum (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312012), and would like to give my trac a similar treatment.... Has anybody done a body lift, NOT 3"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't make a 1.5" BL kit for the ST. You could probably modify a 3" kits parts to be only 1.5" but I don't see the point of doing all that work only to lift the body 1.5". JMO.

Right, I know they don't. I was planning on buying five 3" pucks and cutting them in half. Then buying replacement bolts separately.
I'm a welder-fabricator, so any bumper mods that need to happen... aren't a concern.

My reasons for wanting a 1.5" lift are: 1, to do something different. 2, I don't want my center of gravity raised that high. I don't plan on going bigger than 33's with the IFS.

I know on Rangers, a 1" lift is fairly common; it doesn't require modifying the fan shroud or steering shaft.

Would anyone say the same for a 1.5" lift on a ST?

You should be able to get away with not needing the steering shaft extension for a 1.5" BL but you'll need to fab up some drop down brackets for the radiator, possibly the e brake cable extension bracket which is only a piece of angle iron with a couple holes on it. The bumper brackets won't be too hard but it's not just a straight up and down bracket for those. If you're a welder fabricator just build your own steel bumpers like I did on mine.

ah, I forgot about the e-brake. doesn't seem like too much of a headache. thanks for the heads up.

Steel bumpers are on the to-do list, believe me. I've been thinking about a bumper that is a hybrid tube/plate design. But, one thing at a time.

thanks for the input. I have to get a registry going at come point here.

Center of gravity gets too much attention in body lift discussions. The weight of the body is nothing compared to the frame, drivetrain and suspension; all of which don't move at all. I really don't think center of gravity should be a concern with a body lift.

Ok, I can believe that. I'm also trying to avoid some of the other issues with a 3" BL- the hitch and exhaust sticking out, bumper and light alignments, gaps. and again, it seems everybody does the usual BL-TT-Shackle lift combo. trying for something different.

Back