• Register Today It's free!

-10 Deg and ex won't start

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
-10 Deg C is cold for the UK, my Ex won't start.

Cranks fine but I am not getting any fuel pressure at the test port.

Pump relay is working but which fuse is going to the Pump, not in the owners manual or haynes.

Can a petrol pump freeze (or the filter?)

I'm a bit stuck so any advise would be appreciated

cheers

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

I've put my pressure guage on the test port and an getting 40PSI at cranking so pump is pumping but still no firing....

you probably need to look at wether you have spark not fuel. Your coil may be faulty or the battery voltage is too low.
The other possobility is immoboliser fault.

you are correct no spark

I'm getting +12v at the coil, this morning will be testing the switched neg from the pcm,

If I understand the diagrams, the Immobiliser switches the +12V so if no switched neg then I'll look at the Crank Sensor, if switched neg ok then I'll have to get the coil pack off the test the primary (secondary coils are OK)

Anything else I should check?

cheers

Jim

Ay up Jim,

My ex had starting issues untill one day it wouldn't start at all.

Try wiggling, or take off and clean the crank sensor connector.

While i cranked the engine, the RAC chap just wiggled the connector and she fired straight up.

We took the connector off, sprayed switch cleaner in it, and it has been perfect since.

Kev.

thanks I'll get under later and give it a wiggle, will report back

Managed to confrim the switched negative to the 3 ignition coils isn't switching, so under I go to wiggle the Crank Sensor

Ok, so this morning I managed to crawl in the snow under the front to diagnose the crank sensor, and expected a painfull few hours of multimeter work, as it happens I took the great advice found on this forum and took the connector on and off a few times,

Tried to start it and started first time !

Not one to just accept that it is just fixed I started to check out the wiring , connectors back to the PCM, can't find a thing!, the most obvious is moisture and corrosion at the plug, but no its dry, bright and shinny so sod it, I'll get a new sensor in a few weeks and change it out later just in case.

I was so please I treated her to a set of upgraded headlight bulbs (her name is Jesabell)

So anyway, the money this Forum has saved me just this one time means that I've gone Elite :)

Thanks everybody who has ever posted a resolution to non-starting.

cheers

Jim

Back