Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Thought this would be helpful for current owners with future maintenance plans:

With just over 98,000 miles, I had the spark plugs replaced. The job was $360.50 total. Parts were $70.50 and $290.00 for labor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that's pretty reasonable. I just purchased a 2014 EX and look forward to many miles from it. How has your EX reliability been?

How has your EX reliability been?

Great. Only thing has been the My Ford Touch stuff, and most of that's been resloved over the years with updates. Enjoy your 2014!:)

Should have done it yourself and saved $300, spark plugs are pretty easy with the exception of one plug on our suvs! A lot of us have regapped our plugs already and it's the exact same process and could walk you through it.

Good to know what they are charging though, thanks for the update.

Should have done it yourself and saved $300

I have no time nor patience for stuff like this. I have many other things I'd like to be doing, and am very happy to pay a professional to do it for me.

Besides, this is a company car, and my boss would rather have me in front of a customer than under my hood.:)

Should have done it yourself and saved $300, spark plugs are pretty easy with the exception of one plug on our suvs! A lot of us have regapped our plugs already and it's the exact same process and could walk you through it.
Assuming it was dealer service, unless it's warranty should be a last resort. $300 could have bought you lot's of gas. ;)

Assuming it was dealer service, unless it's warranty should be a last resort. $300 could have bought you lot's of gas. ;)

Dealership has loaner cars and shuttle service (2 miles from my office). Indy shops don't.

My gas is free!!:)

re spark plugs

should have done it yourself and saved $300, spark plugs are pretty easy with the exception of one plug on our suvs! A lot of us have regapped our plugs already and it's the exact same process and could walk you through it.

Good to know what they are charging though, thanks for the update.

how dificult is it and what is involved

how dificult is it and what is involved

I put fresh regapped plugs in mine. It was pretty easy. You just need to unbolt the 6 COPs and take the plugs out. If i remember there was a tight fit getting one of the COPs out. It was interfering with some hard hose. I was able to unbolt one of the mounts for it to move it slightly to get the COP out.

I got all my motorcraft iridium plugs on rock auto for $4/each.

A socket set, a few extensions, and a small box wrench or adjustable, and ~1 hour of your time is all you need.

I totally understand if it's a company car and/or if your that busy, but for me, I don't make 300$ an hour and already own all the tools so for me it's worth the effort. Also, 70$ for spark plugs seems a bit high.

Back