104k on a 1992, what to expect? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

104k on a 1992, what to expect?

rpeirce

Reaction score
I have 104k on a 1992 XLT, the transmission seems like it needs an overhaul. It displayed the same symptoms as a stuck speed govenor (which we cleaned, etc) but the problem came back. I know that every 50k or so miles it's time to replace plugs & wires, but is the transmission usually good for 100k?

Also, what else usually needs to be replaced/rebuilt on a regular basis? I do change the oil (and filter) every 3k.

I really plan on keeping this truck until it rusts out from underneath me - even then I'll still keep it.

Thanks.

-Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bob,

I have done major maint at 50K which was new plugs, wires, fan belt, drain axles, trans(auto), t/c, flush cooling,change P/S fluid, rotated tires at 7.5k and evry 15k checked brakes and lubed caliper slide rails, changed oil at 5k. Mine is a 91 with 145k-probs to date cooling system, a cracked rad. tank.(110k), A/C condensor and hoses(80k), and since its gotten cold in the last couple of weeks a lifter tick on start up. No trans probs. I purchased vehicle new in Nov. 90, its been to the dealer three times for recall work in the first year and thats it. Excellent vehicle.
My .02

Steve VB
91 Navajo- 2.5 rancho w/31s

The tran in the explorer is a very good trans if you just change the oil in it every 15-20K miles My friend has a 92 that the oil was not changed in 60K mile and guess what happened, it fryed first gear. Our 91 is on its original trans still with 120K.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

i've got a 92 and had problems with the radius arm bushings (causing ft end shimmy and probably wrecked other ft end parts due to previous owner neglect) and needed to upgrade intake manifold gaskets from dealer after the original messed up and started leaking coolant; probably also responsible for using 1 qt oil every 1000 mi. after changing, uses about 1/2 qt in 3000 mi. check the boards and you'll see these and other problems come up regularly. good luck.

Here are a few tips to look out for in a '91 - '92:

AC - VERY, very, very problematic for the '91 - '92's. They got most of the bugs worked out by the '93 model. Make sure it works and there are no leaks in the system. Run it for at least 20 minutes and monitor it. Ifit starts dumping warmish air on you, it's got problems that aren't really cheap to fix.

Power Steering - Check for leaks on the pulley shaft. It actually won't start to leak until around 100,000 miles or so. Not a biggie to replace, but you will need a special puller to remove the pulley (it's plastic). You can always take it to an AC shop to have them remove it for you.

Radius Arm Bushings - Hopefully thosehave been replaced by now. If not, it can be done, but it's a pain to remove the factory rivits that hold them on. There was an earlier recall that the factory replaced them for free, but I'm not sure if it's still in effect. Check to see if they've been replaced.

Manual trannys need to have the rubber shift rail plugs replaced by no later than 100,000. They have a tendancy to rot and tranny oil could spew out the back toasting gears... not a pretty sound and very pricey.

Rear Hatch Struts - Watch them about 90,000 or so; depending on use. Some fail slowly, some just fail. A rear hatch on the head will get one's attention really fast.

Gas Filler Neck - I think there was a recall as well on this. Anyway, I had mine in for something that the dealer dealt with. He also took care of the rear hatch strut issue at the same time.

Sun Roof - Another recall item. If you have a removable sun roof, and you do not reinstall it correctly' it could fly off. Big problems for the guy behind you.. look into that too.

Alternator will suddenly die about 80,000 miles. Some sooner... some later... but it will die. It's actually one of the few things in an Explorer that is easy to replace without have to tear half the engine apart. It's about a $130 item by doing it yourself.

Hubs - Just a plain stoopid design...period. If they don't lock or are making a racket when you put it into 4X4, the plastic locking mechanism is broken. Save yourself a lot f grief and money by installing manual hubs. Contrary to popular belief, you can leave your hubs locked in. You only have 4 wheel drive when you lock in the transfer case. At worst you'll lose about 1 mpg, if that by leaving the hubs locked. The replacement plastic parts are actually more expensive than manual hubs in the long run and will probably break again anyway.

4X4 Push button - It's a crap shoot if works at that mileage. The motor that activate the transfer case is really particular and a pain to deal with. Why couldn't Ford just use a manual lever and keep it plain and simple.. sigh. I had mine lock into 4X4 and I had to take it to the dealer to get it out. He struggled with it for most of the day until he got it to disengage. 4X4 Low is also a problem. Sometimes just won't work and when it does, you sometimes can't get it out of low. If you aren't already doing it, try putting it into 4X4 mode at least once a week just to keep things functioning...

Ivan

WOW!

Thank you everybody for the information. So far I seem to be on the right path but most of the things listed I haven't even thought to check. I appreciate it very much.

Happy New Year!

-Bob

Check your cooling fan blade for cracks if you haven't already. If it comes apart it will shread your radiator into pieces you probably won't be able to recognize!

Barry

Back