126,000 miles Is it worth it?

sean99

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Limited 5.0
I just picked up a 1999 V6 EB 4dr 4X4 126,000 miles in excellent condition for $4,700.I still have my 1993 Ranger V6 XLT4X4 super cab mint cond. that runs great with 89k miles.What I would like to know is do you think I am asking for trouble with a high mileage Explorer?It has been serviced at the dealership since new with all receipts.
10/01 @ 43k miles remanufactured trans and c? 7000darm thats what the receipt says.$2600
4/02 @ 53k miles replaced chain tensioner
5/03 @ 71k miles replaced transfer case $1600
9/03 @ 76k miles slips from reverse to drive. replaced band.
9/04 @ 95k miles replaced valve body and rebuilt rear end. $4,200
8/05 @ 121k miles new front pads and rotors
Nothing has been done to the suspension which has rear leveling.
It rides a little rough compared to my Ranger.
Any advise on what to look out for,or what I need to do right away?
Is it a lemon or a typical Explorer?
I dont want to sell my Ranger till I find out more.
Thanks for your help.
Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard:

Definitely NOT typical in my personal experience with four Explorer’s (92,95,97,01).

I have had none of those repairs. If those were typical, I don’t think that Ford would consistently sell 3-400 thousand Ex’s year in and year out.

Good Luck with your new EB.

Was/is this Ex used to tow? Sounds like it may have been.

My wife and I bought our '97 Eddie Bauer (5.0 V8 AWD) this past September with 102K on it for only $3800. It has never had any of the repairs you described and it has been running great. In our experience (in the 4K miles we have put on it since then), "rough" is definitely not a term that I'd use to describe the ride we get from our Ex. As a matter of fact, we love taking it on our 80 mile round trip to work as many days as we can think of an excuse to do so, precisely because the ride is so nice!

Good luck with your '99 EB. If I were you, though, I wouldn't sell the Ranger yet.

I called the original owner and he said that he only towed a small utility trailer to the dump while working on his home.I guess I would not worry if he did not give me all the receipts.The Explorer looks like new inside and out with no accidents .He was very meticulous with how clean the Explorer is,the record keeping in a binder including post-its for each year and his perfect two million dollar home in the hills.It does not make sense that he would beat on it and keep it looking like new.It would suck to drop a couple grand into it.

Sounds like that thing was a lemon from the get-go. Hopefully he has had everything replaced that can/will go bad. FWIW- I paid $4500 for my mint '99 with only 110k miles and it has been perfect so far we've put just about 10k miles on it.

Ha.... I'm not even going to tell you what I paid for the 3 second gen explorers i've owned....

I drive a 98 EB with 126k,sohc v6, tow pkg,(16" rims(oem) and 4.10 axle) , bought new. Have only replaced brakes and one lower ball joint......so far. I've had trouble with the radio digital display and the power antenna. Runs great, love the leather , still looks great. I am getting nervous about the high milage however.

126k its just getting broke in...my '95 has 131k and its still got a long long life ahead of it.

I drive a 95' Xlt with 149,000 miles on it and even it still has long life a ahead of it......

I will work on getting a smoother ride first and cross my fingers on the running gear.What shocks would give me the smoothest ride.I'm not going off rode.It has rear load leveling.99 4x4.
Can I get away with just new sway bar bushings along with the new shocks or do I need a better sway bar?
Where is the best place to get the parts?
Thanks for all the help.
Sean

my 97, which i had since new off the lot with 7 miles on it now has 136 grqand on the ticker, best vehicle my dad says he has ever owned. We never had a problem with it, except for the gas gauge. I say buy an explorer its worth it. The ride is very nice, kinda odd that its rough. Maybe its the shocks. I put stiffer shocks on my mountainner when i temporarily went insane and actually contemplated lowering her. It was a mere day and i hit my head again and had the sence knocked back inot me. When i had those shocks on she rode rough.

Check the tire pressure, sounds like there could be 38-40psi.

The tire pressure is 32 all around.

When I changed tires from Goodyear wrangler(approx 60,000miles on them) to Remingtons (less agressive tread) the ride improved. Was not expecting this! Tire size was 255/70/16 for both sets.

iowaboy said:
When I changed tires from Goodyear wrangler(approx 60,000miles on them) to Remingtons (less agressive tread) the ride improved. Was not expecting this! Tire size was 255/70/16 for both sets.
This is very true. Tires make a dramatic effect on the ride. If you are looking to improve the ride and need the tires replaced, look into Mich. LTX M&S tires. If I didnt take my X off road these are the tires I would get.

you know... even though all that stuff was replaced.... at least you know it was replaced and rebuilt recently...

iowaboy said:

I have the Goodyear Wranglers on it but they still have a lot of life left. I will look for a good set already mounted on Craigslist and then sell these.
Are the Monroe Sensatracs the best shock for the ride?
Do I have a choice of shocks for the rear with the self leveling?

97BlackX5.0 said:
you know... even though all that stuff was replaced.... at least you know it was replaced and rebuilt recently...

Thats true
I guess after looking at all those receipts I started getting paranoid.
Whats next?
The motor?
The trans. again?
I just need to calm down and take my medicine.(beer) :chug:
Hey,This thing is SWEET!!!
It's pretty much fully loaded ,except its missing a couple of cylinders.
Time to put up some christmas lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 99 XLT 4x4, with 150,000 miles. I've had her since 32,000 and never had a problem. Also FYI, the Mich. LTX M&S tires are awesome. They are a bit pricey but worth every dime. I got 80,000 out of my first set, and couldn't be happier with my second.

Back