• Register Today It's free!

12v Accessory Wire

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
The 12v accessory wire that I had my radio hooked up to is not working. It is not getting any power for some reason. So I am looking for another 12v accessory wire that I can power the ignition wire for my radio. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 12v accessory wire that I had my radio hooked up to is not working. It is not getting any power for some reason. So I am looking for another 12v accessory wire that I can power the ignition wire for my radio. Any suggestions?

did you check all the fuses? If so and there's none blown, you can go to the ignition harness and grab it there. Should be gray/yellow, and black/green. Ignition is green/purple, my truck had like 4 green/purples, any will do.

If I do jump off one of the ignition wires, would it be powerful enough to start up my radio as well as my 1200w amp? Or would I have to splice them into separate ignition wires?

If I do jump off one of the ignition wires, would it be powerful enough to start up my radio as well as my 1200w amp? Or would I have to splice them into separate ignition wires?

what do you mean turn on your amp? the remote wire on the amp? That would work, but you want the remote wire to come off the back of the deck so the amp is only on when the radio is on.

The problem is that the 12v accessory wire going to the back of my headunit is not working. I needed to know the location of a wire I could splice into to get my headunit powered. I also needed to know if that wire would be strong enough to remote turn on my headunit as well as the 1200 watt amp that i have hooked up to my radio.

The problem is that the 12v accessory wire going to the back of my headunit is not working. I needed to know the location of a wire I could splice into to get my headunit powered. I also needed to know if that wire would be strong enough to remote turn on my headunit as well as the 1200 watt amp that i have hooked up to my radio.

Guess I should probably make sure, is this a stock or after market deck?

and I gave you that wire, but your amp's remote turn on wire should be connected to your radio's remote turn on out the back of the deck. Both of them are only looking for power, they are not actually powering the radio or amp, only giving it a signal to turn on. You can put your amp and radio on the wire, but if you ever turn your radio off for some reason your amp will still be on for no reason. Your remote turn on for your amp gets connected to your remote turn on out of the deck, out of the deck it is blue/white, as long as its an after market deck.

I think maybe I am using the wrong terminology. I have power going through the main 12v wire that powers the radio (it is aftermarket by the way) - and I have a good ground for it. I may be confused...but the 12v accessory wire, isn't that the same as the remote on wire? Or are they 2 separate wires? The 12v is what is written on the wire and that is the one that is not getting power.

In addition, I also noticed that my power windows do not roll down when the key is in the accessory position. However, they do when the key is in the ignition position and when the car is running.

It sounds like either a fuse or a burnt out wire that could be causing both my radio and window problems, but I would love some input.

Thanks for all your help bro. I got it figured out finally. It was Fuse #20 next to the steering wheel. Its the one for the RAP Module, Generic Electronic Module and the Radio. I was happy as hell when I saw a fuse blown and it happened to be for the radio. Just bought and installed the new fuse and my stereo and subs are kicking again. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your help bro. I got it figured out finally. It was Fuse #20 next to the steering wheel. Its the one for the RAP Module, Generic Electronic Module and the Radio. I was happy as hell when I saw a fuse blown and it happened to be for the radio. Just bought and installed the new fuse and my stereo and subs are kicking again. Thanks again.

Glad to hear its working again. The acc wire is to turn on the radio, well, not only, but you know what I mean. The car supplies this when the key is turned one click, and then turns off whens tarting to save voltage for starting. All unnecessary electronics are turned off. This is what turns your radio on, the radio only needs to see the acc wire, it isn't actually powered by it.

The remote turn on comes out of the deck. It sends out 12v to turn on external devices, amps, eq's, etc. It only gives out 12v when the radio is on. So say your car is on and you turn your radio off, it takes away the 12v and your amp turns off, but you still have 12v on the acc wire cause it's giving the radio the ok to turn on.

Hope that helps.

I understand ya loud and clear. I was thinking in terms as them being the same. But thanks again.

Back