• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Need 12V accessory power

ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I am hunting high and low for accessory power, preferably near the center console.
I can find 12V all over the place, but not switched.

I'm installing aftermarket headrests with monitors and need a power source. The 12V plugs aren't switched, so they won't work. Boo, that would be so easy.

I checked all through the console and behind the radio. Radio harness didn't match what I could find on the12volt.com so I'm not sure. I checked every wire and couldn't find switched power.

I even tried looking for a switched common with a constant 12V and had no luck.

Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and I can't even get to the blasted fuse panel under the steering wheel. My shoulders are too broad and I can't even get close!

I see you found a solution, but for my reference, could you have tapped into the power seats?

I see you found a solution, but for my reference, could you have tapped into the power seats?

I checked both harnesses I saw and couldn't locate any. If I remember right, you can move them without acc. Power

I checked both harnesses I saw and couldn't locate any. If I remember right, you can move them without acc. Power

You could use the seat power wire for the source power, and any wire controlled by the ignition to trigger a relay. Depending on the load(you mention light load), pick a small relay to install out of sight where you need it between the load and the power source.

Trigger a relay with an ignition controlled source, and feed the relay with the power source. Feed your load with the relay.

You could use the seat power wire for the source power, and any wire controlled by the ignition to trigger a relay. Depending on the load(you mention light load), pick a small relay to install out of sight where you need it between the load and the power source.

Trigger a relay with an ignition controlled source, and feed the relay with the power source. Feed your load with the relay.

I know I could use a relay, but I couldn't find an ignition controlled wire at all.
Beside that, I'd probably have to use an SSR because a coil would likely draw more current than what I'm powering.

You would likely need to extend a wire from the dash area, to the seat, and mount the relay under there. What's an "SSR", a typical relay takes no power to run?

I love the OEM relays, the 95-01 parts I'm used to. The half size relays have nearly the same capacity and reliability of the full sized relays. I have always used them in OEM relay modules, I wish there was a relay connector that would plug into those. That would be slick to use, if someone made such a thing. Those relays are very small, and robust. I have a pair of relays powering each of my four windows in my 99 Explorer

Attachments

• Projectthread096.JPG
    Projectthread096.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,552
  • Projectthread098.JPG
    Projectthread098.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,581

Yes, all relays take power to run.
An SSR is a Solid State Relay which takes much less power to run than a coil driven relay (the typical type found in vehicles).

And if I'm running power from the dash, that defeats the purpose of finding switched power under the seat.

That's where I ended up at. I ran switched power from under the dash.

Back