'14 Explorer engine hesitation at low RPMs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'14 Explorer engine hesitation at low RPMs

JR2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer 01 Sport Tr
Purchased Explorer flex fuel 3.5L with 6-speed select shift trans and intelligent 4WD. Build date 7/13; six miles at purchase with 1100 miles currently. Mileage 19/24 regular. E-85: 17/19 m/g.

Issue: Have noticed engine/trans hesitation during light/slow acceleration
from 1200 - 1500 rpm and again around the 2000-2200 rpm shift point.
Hesitation feels like fuel starvation. During lead foot acceleration hesitation issues greatly lessened.

Switched to E-85 fuel, my thinking to clean/burn out whatever. In town acceleration with E-85 has gotten much smoother but still not totally smooth.

I've read other posts that discuss engine/trans module learning your driving habits. Has anyone else experienced this and is the learning phase?

Love the Explorer!
Thanks for your thoughts
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Issue: Have noticed engine/trans hesitation during light/slow acceleration
from 1200 - 1500 rpm and again around the 2000-2200 rpm shift point.
Hesitation feels like fuel starvation. During lead foot acceleration hesitation issues greatly lessened...

Hi Jim,

Since you're concerned, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can check things out. Additionally, I'd like to get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Send me your information in a private message (PM) and I'll make it happen. In your message, be sure to include your name, phone number, current mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Thanks!

Crystal

Our 13 sport does the same thing. 4500 miles on it now, has done it from day one, on and off. Waiting for first oil change to have dealer check it out.

Our 13 sport does the same thing. 4500 miles on it now, has done it from day one, on and off. Waiting for first oil change to have dealer check it out.

Let us know how the dealership visit goes, jimmy7044; I'll be happy to step in and assist if you need any help from me. :)

Crystal

I have noticed this as well, but I attributed it to a combination of turbo lag and the tranny shifting down.

Is this issue not related to the F150 EcoBoost TSB issues?

I've noticed when I first start up there is a slight "judder" at light throttle in first... Feels like a band or clutch doesn't quite have enough fluid pressure to grab fully...

I just learned to live with it and let off the gas, then get back on the gas.. Always goes away in about 20 feet... Doesn't happen when I stomp on the gas the first time from startup so I'm not worried...

Tranny factory fill might be a little low or there just isn't enough pumping action from the converter to build up enough pressure at initial cold start?

Anyway, as someone who's rebuilt th400, th350, modified th200r4, etc... I'll live with it!

I've noticed when I first start up there is a slight "judder" at light throttle in first... Feels like a band or clutch doesn't quite have enough fluid pressure to grab fully...

I just learned to live with it and let off the gas, then get back on the gas.. Always goes away in about 20 feet... Doesn't happen when I stomp on the gas the first time from startup so I'm not worried...

Tranny factory fill might be a little low or there just isn't enough pumping action from the converter to build up enough pressure at initial cold start?

Anyway, as someone who's rebuilt th400, th350, modified th200r4, etc... I'll live with it!

Same thing on my PI. I thought the exact same thing, but it does the same hesitation on the freeway at 60-65 when you push the accelerator enough to just shy of the point it wants to downshift

Same thing on my PI. I thought the exact same thing, but it does the same hesitation on the freeway at 60-65 when you push the accelerator enough to just shy of the point it wants to downshift

Lockup torque converter shudder?

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but it drives me crazy when there's no updates with the resolution. I'm having this same issue. Mostly minor, but occasional significant shudder/hesitation under light acceleration. It's most noticeable in the 2000-2500 range. I was hoping it was just carbon buildup in the intake or injectors, but I've run 3 cans of seafoam through the fuel along with numerous tanks of 93 octane with no difference at all.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but it drives me crazy when there's no updates with the resolution. I'm having this same issue.
Welcome to the 5th gen. Forum.:wave:
I agree 100%. There have been numerous times that I've sent PM's to members requesting updates. Unfortunately in this thread, other than yourself, Kpwweb is the only active member here with the issue and doesn't appear to be too concerned about it. Has the throttle body been checked?

Peter

Welcome to the 5th gen. Forum.:wave:
I agree 100%. There have been numerous times that I've sent PM's to members requesting updates. Unfortunately in this thread, other than yourself, Kpwweb is the only active member here with the issue and doesn't appear to be too concerned about it. Has the throttle body been checked?

Peter
No, it hasn't been checked. I had a mechanic recommend not pulling it off to clean due to "these modern throttle bodies don't like that". I've been considering removing it anyway for a good cleaning.

No, it hasn't been checked. I had a mechanic recommend not pulling it off to clean due to "these modern throttle bodies don't like that". I've been considering removing it anyway for a good cleaning.

Ford has a "Pin Test" they do on the throttle body to determine the issue.

I have had my 2014 Sport and 2016 Focus both fail the test and had to have the throttle body replaced.

There was a rather large batch of these throttle bodies that were faulty.

Its likely your issue as well.

I just purchased a used 2015 Sport and under moderate accel I also feel a slight hesitation or like something is holding it back intermittently. Can't say it feels like an actual engine miss but I can feel it in the seat. Hard to describe......not a constant feeling. Almost like it faintly jerks the vehicle. If I baby it or get on it more it doesn't do it. This is my first EcoBoost engine.....the 3.5 NA that was in the 2013 I traded in never did it. I thought maybe it was a characteristic of the EcoBoost engine. Worst case I thought it may be something related to some major engine warranty work (engine sensor, timing chain and 1 turbo all replaced) that was just performed by previous owner prior to me buying it.

I just purchased a used 2015 Sport and under moderate accel I also feel a slight hesitation or like something is holding it back intermittently. Can't say it feels like an actual engine miss but I can feel it in the seat. Hard to describe......not a constant feeling. Almost like it faintly jerks the vehicle. If I baby it or get on it more it doesn't do it. This is my first EcoBoost engine.....the 3.5 NA that was in the 2013 I traded in never did it. I thought maybe it was a characteristic of the EcoBoost engine. Worst case I thought it may be something related to some major engine warranty work (engine sensor, timing chain and 1 turbo all replaced) that was just performed by previous owner prior to me buying it.

Likely you have the throttle body issue

Likely you have the throttle body issue

Do you know what this test consists of and are the symptoms the same as what I'm experiencing??

Do you know what this test consists of and are the symptoms the same as what I'm experiencing??

On my service report from the dealer, the said the technician performed a PIN test and determined the throttle body was not operating correctly.

I don't actually know what that PIN test is.

On my service report from the dealer, the said the technician performed a PIN test and determined the throttle body was not operating correctly.

I don't actually know what that PIN test is.

I would guess they're testing the various pins on the connector with a multimeter, and one isn't reading the correct voltage.

FYI, my issue ended up being 100% resolved by a simple transmission fluid flush.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have just bought a 2015 ppv, with 55,000mi on it. Verry good shape. I have had the shuddering/ surging issues sence day 1. I have actually made a apt at a ford dealership to look into this on 2/28/18. Lets hope its solved by a simple trans flush.....

Back