'14 Explorer Limited 4WD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'14 Explorer Limited 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's because that Explorer is running snow tires which make a HUGE difference.

You sure about that? It has the stock 20" rims on it and if you look towards the end of the video, within the last 10-15 seconds, it appears to say "Hankook" on the sidewall of the tires. It's not definitive, but the lettering looks like it could very well say Hankook.

You sure about that? It has the stock 20" rims on it and if you look towards the end of the video, within the last 10-15 seconds, it appears to say "Hankook" on the sidewall of the tires. It's not definitive, but the lettering looks like it could very well say Hankook.

I also will point out that Explorer gets stuck going up that small hill 45 seconds in which is no testament to its 'snow ability'.

I found a parking lot which had not been plowed and drove my Explorer into it to play some more. Same deal at first in snow mode with it not being able to generate forward motion. I turned traction control off and it started to behave like I would expect - a little back and forth with gradual progression forward until I had some momentum.

Atleast for me turning TC off might be the fix in snow over 2 inches - hopefully we get another storm through so I can give it another go on the road.

My xsport is great in the snow i hav the hankooks as well plows right throo this ny snow we been getting no issues i cant wait for the summer and the beach...my only concern is the front bumper spoiler i will have to take it off or it most likely will be ripped off at the beach...srry to ur not happy with ur xpler

That's because that Explorer is running snow tires which make a HUGE difference.

dood needs to learn some driving skillz ...whats the deal with those LED lights in the bumper?

2 weeks ago at 1:00 a.m I had to travel about 3 tenths of a mile on a snow drifted road, and I took off the traction control and put it in snow mode and did the slow (25 mph) busting drifts and using the whole road.....no one out at that time of day !!! and made it. when I got out and looked at the front of the explorer the snow was on the top of front plate and packed on the front plate. I am kinda happy with my 2015 with 20" wheels but yea the tires could be better

Just to be clear the issue I have is getting moving in snow - once moving the Explorer does fine with or without TC.

Stopped by the dealer who basically told me there isnt much they can do without seeing the Terrain Mgmt fault when it happens since a code isnt stored for that. Hoping for another snow to get some more time behind the wheel.

Just to be clear the issue I have is getting moving in snow - once moving the Explorer does fine with or without TC.

Stopped by the dealer who basically told me there isnt much they can do without seeing the Terrain Mgmt fault when it happens since a code isnt stored for that. Hoping for another snow to get some more time behind the wheel.

come to NY all the snow u can handle...:usa:

I recently traded a 2014 Escape Ecoboost 2.0 and a 2014 F150 tremor for 2 Explorers (a left over 2014 Limited in Black, and a 2015 in White Platinum)

I can vouch for both the Escape and the F150 in the snow, but I have not been able to try either explorer in the snow since they were bought after our last heavy snow fall. However, I did manage to take my 15 through so snow covered spots on the streets where city plows had to maneuver around other vehicles. I did a dead stop in what was probably 6 inches of hard packed snow, let the vehicle sit for a minute and drove right out of it.

Both the 14 and 15 have the Hankook tires on 20's. If we get another blast I will go out and play, hell I even take my mustang out in the snow for SnG.

I recently traded a 2014 Escape Ecoboost 2.0 and a 2014 F150 tremor for 2 Explorers (a left over 2014 Limited in Black, and a 2015 in White Platinum)

I can vouch for both the Escape and the F150 in the snow, but I have not been able to try either explorer in the snow since they were bought after our last heavy snow fall. However, I did manage to take my 15 through so snow covered spots on the streets where city plows had to maneuver around other vehicles. I did a dead stop in what was probably 6 inches of hard packed snow, let the vehicle sit for a minute and drove right out of it.

Both the 14 and 15 have the Hankook tires on 20's. If we get another blast I will go out and play, hell I even take my mustang out in the snow for SnG.

funk:

You seem to have some experience that we can all use with your
snow testing. Do your vehicles have either 4x4 or AWD?

funk:

You seem to have some experience that we can all use with your
snow testing. Do your vehicles have either 4x4 or AWD?

Both are 4WD limited Explorers (The New Ones)

the 14 Escape had intelligent 4WD, which as I understand is the same as our normal mode in our Explorers. My F150 tremor had your normal select-able 4WdD system (4H 4L 2H Elec Lock)

Just to also make note, in early february I had to fly to Ft Wayne Indiana for work and it was during the same blizzard that shut down Chicago O'Hare (19"). I had a Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost 4WD as a rental and had to go from Ft Wayne to Warsaw which was about 45 miles. Indiana had not even began plowing the roads and I was zipping it through it just fine. The renatl was the same as the escape I owned at home.

So my though is this, if an Escape, which was not really designed to go snow moshing can travel through the blizzard I was in, with no issue I can't see how an Explorer would have any issues.

However, It shall be noted that when I learned to drive and received my Driver's License I lived in Syracuse NY which is no stranger to significant snow falls. My parents at the time I was rising on an learner's Permit and Took my road Test had a 1987 GTA Trans Am, and a 1987 Regal GNX. I took the Road Test in the Trans Am during a snow fall of about 1-3" in October right off Genesee Street in Syracuse.

As far as toying n my Mustang, I shot a video last year of the GF and I goofing off in a 2011 Convertible I owned during a 5" snow fall in Warminster, PA, that car the following Tires

Front 18x9 Bullit rims with Accelra PHI tires (Crap budget tire) 255/40/18
Rear 18X10 Bullit Rims on Eagle F1 Supercars 285/40/18

I'll have to see if I still have the video but we got around just fine except for one spot where water pooled up and turned to straight ice.

Ok, so we got about 12" of snow here in Philadelphia area (Downingtown) yesterday. So I finally was able to take both the 14 and the 15 out to play in the snow.

The biggest test would be climbing Boot Rd and N. Caln Rd. Both very steep inclines that get you access to the Route 30 Bypass and 202.

Both vehicles are equipped with the Hankooks on 20" rims.

1st attempt up N. Caln Rd (2014) in Normal mode... I would rate it 2.5 out of 5. While it finally did make it it took a lot of effort for the vehicle to make the climb to the top.

2nd attempt up N. Caln Rd (2014) in Snow Mode... I would rate it 4 out of 5. The vehicle made the climb much better on this attempt, but when you hit a snow rut it would jerk the vehicle a bit and make you feel like you would swerve off the road, but it would quickly gain control and you could see on the 4wd LED that all 4 wheels kicked into heavy traction mode to make the climb.

I know some folks think the hankooks are crap tires but they did get the job done.

The 15 averaged the same on N. Caln Rd in both modes.

Boot Rd, I felt the 14 navigated this steep incline much better than the 14 in both modes, which to me was strange as the 14 was carrying 200lbs of Rock salt in the cargo area, yet the 15 which had no additional weight in the cargo area climbed it with more ease. Just my 2 cents but the 4WD limited with Hankooks is more than ample enough to get through 12" of snow.

So far I'm pleased with the xsports ability in the snow. I'll agree with most on this boards assessment of the Hankooks and will replace this spring.

My wife is the primary driver and has yet to complain about the xsports ability, I've taken it out several times with the intent of getting it stuck. No luck so far.

Mike

This Gen5 explorer is getting around in the snow okay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Nhbpf0rjQ

After watching part 2, I am guessing they don't care about their paint job. Hate to see what those reeds did to the sides. IMO the driver was a big part of some of the driving issues. Should have made that hill on the first try. :)

We've have had a very rough winter here. Snow falls and stays. A couple of days ago we had warm enough temperatures for the salt to be effective and the result was slush. A lot of slush. Driving in normal mode, I experienced a little fish tailing but switching to snow mode that went away. I can really tell a difference in the "feel" when I switch modes. For the most of this winter I been driving on snow packed roads or up to 4 inches of powder in normal mode. After driving a Chevy Cobalt and a Ford F250 FX4 for several winters, I have no complaints about the my Explorer.

Down here in the DC area we got 6-7 inches of snow yesterday. I took my 14 Limited AWD out multiple times throughout the day without a problem. I drove up unplowed hills, around stuck vehicles, and in and out of parallel parking spaces (had to switch to sand mode once but that's not a problem). This is a very capable vehicle. I don't see what everyone's problem with the 20" hankooks is. I've had them on sand and now snow and haven't had a problem yet.

Back