'14 PIU - Installing a rear backup cam with existing display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'14 PIU - Installing a rear backup cam with existing display

Lukapaka

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PI: Utility
Hey folks,

I'm interested in installing a rear backup camera to a 2014 PI: Utility I recently picked up from auction. I've never driven a vehicle this large before, and the parking lot at my work is rather unforgiving. A backup camera would do wonders for me, and ideally I could tap it right into my existing 4" display.

Does anybody have experience doing this? I did find a thread that seemed to touch on the subject (OEM Backup / Rearview Camera without Sync?) but I'm not positive I understood the solution from that discussion.

I suppose my biggest questions are:
Does the head unit have an interface on it for a camera input?
Will it respond to me putting the transmission into reverse, and back into drive?

I really appreciate any follow up provided. In any case, I'll be sure to update this thread with some photos as I venture forth on this mod!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey folks,

I'm interested in installing a rear backup camera to a 2014 PI: Utility I recently picked up from auction. I've never driven a vehicle this large before, and the parking lot at my work is rather unforgiving. A backup camera would do wonders for me, and ideally I could tap it right into my existing 4" display.

Does anybody have experience doing this? I did find a thread that seemed to touch on the subject (OEM Backup / Rearview Camera without Sync?) but I'm not positive I understood the solution from that discussion.

I suppose my biggest questions are:
Does the head unit have an interface on it for a camera input?
Will it respond to me putting the transmission into reverse, and back into drive?

I really appreciate any follow up provided. In any case, I'll be sure to update this thread with some photos as I venture forth on this mod!

You can do this and it's really not a bad install. You'll have to add an adaptor which is just a couple of wires to the back of the radio through one of the stock connectors. Add programming and it will work when you put in reverse/ drive. I went with the FLVP mods kit, with a camera I picked up on amazon. And you can youtube the install walkthrough.

MyFord and MyFord Touch and SYNC3 Back Up Camera Solution

Camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/

The camera is metal and has adjustable spacers. But other universal cameras will work.

You'll need forscan or for the dealer to load the .ab file. I would recommend getting forscan if you do not have it yet. The cost for a generic programmer will be worth it after the first use. Wiring the camera you have 2 options, wire to the reverse light and it will only be on when you are in reverse or an accessory wire and it will technically always be on when the car is running. But the way the programming works the computer tells the radio when in reverse and not the camera. So if you wire the camera to the acc wire it would be my recommended option if keeping the stock radio. Faster camera startup when you put the vehicle reverse and when in drive it will continue to show the camera until you reach like 2mph. Otherwise, it will show a blue screen until you reach 2mph because the camera is off. Hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know. I did this install about 1-2 months ago.

Great write up, I really appreciate it wildct88

for the forscan, I will need software and a hookup device? a quick Google search tells me I have a lot of options...

Great write up, I really appreciate it wildct88

for the forscan, I will need software and a hookup device? a quick Google search tells me I have a lot of options...

That's correct. For the device I got the one with the best ratings on Amazon. It was about $20 ($18.97 right now). I'd avoid the Bluetooth devices and get USB. Software is free for windows. You'll need the extended license. But you can request that on the Forscan website for 3 months at a time for free.

I did this a few weeks ago and it works great. I used this one and it has dynamic lines that work OK but look good if nothing else.

Dynamic Track Rear Night Vision Camera Parking Assistant Clear Picture Quality | eBay

I ended up making my own interface cable as I had some similar pins laying around but getting a pre made one is not a bad idea.

Also second Wildcats recommendation and I have mine wired to one of the start/run circuits from the Police harness under center stack.

You can do this and it's really not a bad install. You'll have to add an adaptor which is just a couple of wires to the back of the radio through one of the stock connectors. Add programming and it will work when you put in reverse/ drive. I went with the FLVP mods kit, with a camera I picked up on amazon. And you can youtube the install walkthrough.

MyFord and MyFord Touch and SYNC3 Back Up Camera Solution

Camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/

The camera is metal and has adjustable spacers. But other universal cameras will work.

You'll need forscan or for the dealer to load the .ab file. I would recommend getting forscan if you do not have it yet. The cost for a generic programmer will be worth it after the first use. Wiring the camera you have 2 options, wire to the reverse light and it will only be on when you are in reverse or an accessory wire and it will technically always be on when the car is running. But the way the programming works the computer tells the radio when in reverse and not the camera. So if you wire the camera to the acc wire it would be my recommended option if keeping the stock radio. Faster camera startup when you put the vehicle reverse and when in drive it will continue to show the camera until you reach like 2mph. Otherwise, it will show a blue screen until you reach 2mph because the camera is off. Hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know. I did this install about 1-2 months ago.

Do you by any chance have the installation for you rearview cam mod? Wondering if there is a way to do a diy version of it.

I did this a few weeks ago and it works great. I used this one and it has dynamic lines that work OK but look good if nothing else.

Dynamic Track Rear Night Vision Camera Parking Assistant Clear Picture Quality | eBay

I ended up making my own interface cable as I had some similar pins laying around but getting a pre made one is not a bad idea.

Also second Wildcats recommendation and I have mine wired to one of the start/run circuits from the Police harness under center stack.

I know this is an older thread but wondering if you have any pictures from your custom pinned connector and also know which pins you added to the connector. I saw a newer thread that said they thought it was 4 and 12, but wanted to confirm that. I found some cheap cameras on Ebay that look like they would mount nicely under the black trim on the PIU.

For the power for the camera, did you just tap into the reverse lights or was there another power source in the back of the PIU that you used?

Back