Installing a Yada Backup Camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a Yada Backup Camera

mwhoody

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought a Yada backup camera and want to install it.
I opened up the back tail light assembly and found the reverse light wiring but am confused as to which wire is the positive and negative.
The backup camera has a black and a red wire.
I'm assuming that the red wire on the camera is the positive (?) right? And should connect to the Positive on the tail light wiring - am I correct in this?
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wireless one? Yeah that's right. Red is hot. Just hook it to the hot wire for the back up lights. I put one in my truck that I got for xmas last year. I ran it through the bumper, along the back and up to the driver side back up light.

What I was wondering was which is the hot wire on the truck itself.
Unfortunately Ford doesn't seem to have a normal color coding. So I don't know which wire I'm supposed to hook my camera red wire to on the truck.
Oh yes, it is a wireless - sorry I forgot to mention that.

What I was wondering was which is the hot wire on the truck itself.
Unfortunately Ford doesn't seem to have a normal color coding. So I don't know which wire I'm supposed to hook my camera red wire to on the truck.
Oh yes, it is a wireless - sorry I forgot to mention that.

There are over 2000 wires on your truck... Do you want them all to be red or black???

Get a test light and see which one gets power when the truck is shifted into reverse.

Actualy, just pull the light apart, like you would to change the bulb, and tap it in right behind the connector. The ground goes to the outside of the bulb, hot is the center.

There are over 2000 wires on your truck... Do you want them all to be red or black???

Get a test light and see which one gets power when the truck is shifted into reverse.

Actually I'm not talking about the whole truck... All I'm asking is what color is the hot wire on the backup light
I will try and see if I can get a test meter.
Thank you

Actualy, just pull the light apart, like you would to change the bulb, and tap it in right behind the connector. The ground goes to the outside of the bulb, hot is the center.

Thank you very much I'll try that before I go and purchase a light meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech By Trade View Post

Thank you very much I'll try that before I go and purchase a light meter.

mwhoody: Did this work for you? I have a wireless backup camera that I want to attach to my 2007 Ranger.

The wire with the strip on it should be the hot wire. Is on my 97.

Be advised that at least in the wet climate of the Rust Belt where I live I never had a camera last longer than a year. I've installed a lot of them. :crazy:

Sorry to be so dense, but what is the difference between an '07 Ranger Pickup Sport and an '07 Sport Trac? Anyway, I have a Peak backup camera model PKC0RB. But it has three components, not just two like you show in your excellent instructions. The middle component is the wireless transmitter that sends the picture to the dash screen. Did your model have that? How to install it, where to put the transmitter box with the antenna on a pickup truck? Hope you can help.

I put the transmitter right inside the tail light housing of my 07 Sport Trax. I used double sided tape to stick it.
Nice and dry place for the transmitter.

Sorry to be so dense, but what is the difference between an '07 Ranger Pickup Sport and an '07 Sport Trac?
A Ranger Sport is a model of the Ranger pickup truck. A Sport Trac is an Explorer with a small pickup bed on the back instead of a closed rear area.

Anyway, I have a Peak backup camera model PKC0RB. But it has three components, not just two like you show in your excellent instructions. The middle component is the wireless transmitter that sends the picture to the dash screen. Did your model have that? How to install it, where to put the transmitter box with the antenna on a pickup truck? Hope you can help.
I've put a few cameras on that did not have a transmitter box. I did install one that did and it was easy to put the transmitter box in one of the rear storage compartments that Sport Tracs have in the floor of the bed. If you have a Ranger I would zip tie it somewhere on the frame, maybe above the spare tire would keep it out of way. I gave up on backup cameras and Line Of Fire lights two years ago after installing several of both. They just don't hold up in the wet and winter weather we have here.

O.K. thanks JohnnyO. The directions that come with it say to put the transmitter box on the rear window of the pickup cab, but the wire isn't long enough to reach that far. I was afraid I wouldn't get good reception if I left metal between the transmitter and the receiver, but I guess the only way to find out is to try it. So thanks for your help.

Just curious what type of display you yada guys are using? The 4 inch remote display or the mirror with display? Thinking about a yada but don't think I want the remote display. Thoughts?

Just curious what type of display you yada guys are using? The 4 inch remote display or the mirror with display? Thinking about a yada but don't think I want the remote display. Thoughts?

It didn't look terribly involved, although beyond my comfort level of ability, but I remember seeing here or on www.mysporttrac.com that one or two people managed to hook up an F-150 backup camera. The camera is built into the tailgate emblem and the display is in the rearview mirror. Parts available on Amazon.com. So I've read.

I liked having a backup camera but like I said, the bastiges just don't hold up here above the Mason-Dixon Line, so I gave up on them.

Back