Backup cameras- aftermarket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Backup cameras- aftermarket

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
After searching this forum, I find mainly threads related to the OEM system. My Explorer does not have the touchscreen monitor (I don't like touchscreen in a vehicle), and of course, doesn't have an OEM backup camera. I am definitely not interested in replacing the OEM stereo. I like to be able to do things by feel without having to look at the radio. Also, I have no need to upgrade the stereo anyway as the OEM stereo has better sound than any vehicle I've ever had.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with www.rearviewsafety.com products?

I'm considering the following:
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...tors/3-5-flip-up-tft-lcd-digital-monitor.html

and
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...-camera-with-infra-reds-model-rvs-6380-c.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In appearance they look close. However, the RVS systems actually have waterproof ratings. The camera I'm looking at has the rating IP68, which means it's waterproof beyond 1m. Not that I'm planning on immersing my camera in 1 m of water, but it is an indication that the build quality is better than most of the cheaper cameras. I also see that some are complaining that the Esky cameras get fogged up on the inside. If that is the case, the waterproofing job they're doing is not consistent. High quality does not usually come with better pricing, so I'm not afraid to spend a little more than what the Esky and Pyle cameras are going for. I'm just curious if any one here has tried the RVS cameras, or has any experience with them.

Larry

Well, I sprang for the camera and monitor from rearviewsafety.

Reasons:
1) Higher waterproof rating. I won't need submersiblity beyond 1 meter for sure, but this should ensure me I won't have internal condensation issues that some of the ones on Amazon have had.
2) CCD sensor: while the CMOS sensor gets better image quality overall, CCD is usually better in the near IR region. If I'm using IR LED's at night, this is a benefit. I'm not trying to take beautiful pictures of the car behind me. I want to see what's there, especially at night.
3) Price: you often get what you pay for. While, in general, the comments for the cameras on Amazon seem good, the critical comments are concerning. The issues cannot always be a result of poor installation. I really don't want to deal with internal condensation as seems to be a problem sometimes on the cheaper cameras. My only concern was that there are relatively few reviews for rearviewsafety cameras and monitors, hence my original question here. From all the reviews I do see, it sounds as if RVS really stands behind their product, and is very helpful.

Because no one else has replied with respect to RVS, I'll update this after I install the camera and monitor, perhaps with daytime and nighttime pictures. After that, I'll update with any problems I come across.

Larry

Thanks for the info, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Planning to add a backup camera to the wife's Explorer this spring.

I m watching as well.

PS: What are CCD and CMOS abbreviation ?

Here is an article on CCD vs CMOS. http://info.adimec.com/blogposts/cc...ith-industrial-cmos-image-sensors-and-cameras

If the latest CMOS technology is being used in the backup cameras, the CMOS is probably better. If they are using old CMOS technology, CMOS is worse. Honestly, this wasn't a deciding factor for me. What was a deciding factor was the critical reviews involving internal condensation, and a few reports of the cheaper cameras quitting.

Larry

Hi Larry, and thanks for starting this thread subject. I don't have any experience with the systems, but I bought a back up camera to add to an aftermarket singe DIN DVD player soon. I didn't research a ton but chose one built into a license plate bracket, for about $80 from Kenwood(same as my KVT-614).

I look forward to finding out what cameras do work well. It is about the most visibility, not picture saving quality.

Back