140K on orig. tranny-leave alone?

380sx

Reaction score
City, State
West Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4-door
Hello,
I just made the decision to continue driving my explorer for a few more years rather than buy a new truck. I have done a lot of web research on the Auto Trans on my 92 Explorer xlt. It seems that getting this transmission rebuilt poses somewhat of a risk in that I have heard horror stories of newly rebuilt trannies lasting only a few thousand miles before going south.

So my question...do I let this sleeping dog lie? Again, it is original...140K. Still works ok...shifts "a little soft" and occasionally likes to stick in first a bit too long when cold. It has always been maintained well.

Is 140K a ridiculously long time for one to last (I feel kind of lucky)...or can it go for much longer? I'm a little worried about getting stranded on a long trip somewhere...

Thanks for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my equipment I live by the rule "if it ain't broke, leave it alone".

Good luck....

Well, if it aint broke... Im not always fond of this saying. If you have someone that you trust to rebuild it then I would say do it now while its slipping a little, pretty soon the slipping will get worse and the heat that comes from the slipping may do more damage than just getting a soft rebuild about 1000-1200 dollars. If you dont yhave a tranny guy that you like then let it explode and install a Jasper rebuild. If you plan on keeping it get a larger plate type cooler no matter what.

From all that Ive read and heard about this trans 150-175k miles with moderate use about right. I klnow a ton of people have complained about less but Ive talked to probably a half dozen trans guys and heard stories about 75k trannys and 250k trannies. Those with the larger super cooling packages (fan shroud, larger rad? larger aux trans cooler ) definately last longer.

good luck

The use of synthetic trans fluid will also vastly increase the life of an auto transmission.

Good luck.......

My father-in-law has almost 400,000 miles on his Bronco automatic transmission, so I say if it's shifting fine and not slipping, then I'd keep using it. I think regular fluid and filter changes make a big difference in longevity.

Back