146K Miles: Should I replace valve cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

146K Miles: Should I replace valve cover?

grimloktt

Reaction score
City, State
MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
So, our 2011 Explorer has 146K miles on it, runs good and I noticed oil in the air filter inlet tube when changing the air filter. I'm aware the fix for it is a new valve cover. I have all the tools, used to be a mechanic and have no concerns on actually performing the swap. Financially, it's also not an issue. However, thoughts on whether I should replace it? I mean...it's running strong at 146K miles. Should I let good enough be or go ahead and make the swap? I don't intend on getting rid of the Explorer anytime soon.

Thoughts?

If you're keeping it, and comfortable with doing the work, then of course you should do the work.

When in your situation I try to combine repairs and/or maintenance and plan them to be done together to get the best bang for the labor performed. Maybe change the valve cover gaskets when changing out the spark plugs and any other maintenance, preventative or otherwise, while you have things apart.

Back