• Register Today It's free!

15" wheels vs. 16"

Harley23

Reaction score
City, State
Miramar, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4
I recently bought a 2002 Sport Trac 4X4 that has 16"X7" wheels with 255/70-16 tires. Is there any disadvantage if I switch to 15"X8" steel wheels with 32/11.5-15 tires? I know I may have to trim inside the wheelwells. My other option would be to keep the stock wheels and add 265/75-16's, which should fit with possible trimming as well. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of us go with 15's because tires are so much cheaper and plentiful in just about any size new or used.

Rebel hit the nail on the head.. 15s are wayyyy cheaper and also there are more tire options for 15" wheels. The one thing you have to be careful of is finding wheels that will clear the brake calipers. Most steel wheels will clear but you have to be careful on alloy wheels.

Thanks. The cost factor is the main reason I was thinking of going with 15s. For wheels, I was thinking of the Cragar Soft 8 in a 15 X 8. Do you know if they will clear the brake calipers? Thanks again for your help.

They definitely will. Rebel, the guy right above me runs them on his ST. If you want to see how they look with 33s check out his pictures.

But...... The 15" tire size is starting to become the red-headed stepchild of the truck tire world. I was told that BFG probably won't be making their A/T or M/T in 32" for a 15" wheel anymore. And similarly, Treadwright doesnt offer as many 15" sizes anymore.

And I just bought a new set of 15" wheels.....

I have American Racing Baja wheels to clear the calipers iust fine.

what back spacing do your 15x8" wheels have?

Back