• Register Today It's free!

150w Power inverter?

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
I want to install a small inverter in my ex but I don't wanna run it off the 12v ports. Not gonna risk blowing a fuse, but all the ones I find that are 150w are all 12v power, I don't wanna get one that's any bigger because I already have an aftermarket HU, 10in sub with amp, and 4 aftermarket door speakers, so I don't wanna tax the charging system too much more, this will probably be the last thing I add to the charging system. Any recommendations for 150w inverters that I can hardwire to the battery? Id prefer not to spend $500 on a new alternator, battery and wires. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember, just because it’s capable of 400 or more watts doesn’t mean you have to be using it all.

Very little draw when inverter is just standing by. Like 0.3 amps or about4 watts. Then whatever load you apply , add about 20% more for efficiency loss so 100 watt appliance = 120

The true sine wave inverters are more efficient than the modified sine wave inverters. A small 150 watt inverter isn't going to put a significant load on the electrical system. Just plug it into a cigarette lighter.

True sine wave inverter us are also much more expensive, but some electronica devices require it.

I've tried using three different types of modified sine wave inverters to power an air conditioner, but the only one which worked was a true sine wave inverter. The modified sine wave caused the fan to run very slowly, the compressor to over heat & shut down continuously, and the amount of current that it was pulling was more than the normal amount.

I've tried using three different types of modified sine wave inverters to power an air conditioner, but the only one which worked was a true sine wave inverter. The modified sine wave caused the fan to run very slowly, the compressor to over heat & shut down continuously, and the amount of current that it was pulling was more than the normal amount.
@BrooklynBay
I don't know what type of waveform is being generated by the "modified" sine wave inverter, but if it's an approach to a square wave, that would explain why they do it: they can claim higher wattage output, while in reality the true sine wave of similar amplitude (voltage) would be delivering less power. Power delivered is actually equal to the area under the curve; sine wave has less area than equivalent square wave. But running an A/C motor in a compressor might require true sine wave. imp

I want to install a small inverter in my ex but I don't wanna run it off the 12v ports. Not gonna risk blowing a fuse, but all the ones I find that are 150w are all 12v power,
Any 12v inverter can be hardwired to your battery, even those made to plug into the 12v socket, but you definitely still want to use a fuse if its hardwired. You dont actualy get "12 volts" at your accesory socket.... Your 12v sockets put out the full battery voltage, so there will be no difference to the inverter as far as voltage using the 12v socket vs hardwired.

@BrooklynBay
I don't know what type of waveform is being generated by the "modified" sine wave inverter, but if it's an approach to a square wave, that would explain why they do it: they can claim higher wattage output, while in reality the true sine wave of similar amplitude (voltage) would be delivering less power. Power delivered is actually equal to the area under the curve; sine wave has less area than equivalent square wave. But running an A/C motor in a compressor might require true sine wave. imp
A modified sine wave is more like a modified square wave. Well designed electronics won't care. But motors hate them. As you found out.

I want to install a small inverter in my ex but I don't wanna run it off the 12v ports. Not gonna risk blowing a fuse, but all the ones I find that are 150w are all 12v power, I don't wanna get one that's any bigger because I already have an aftermarket HU, 10in sub with amp, and 4 aftermarket door speakers, so I don't wanna tax the charging system too much more, this will probably be the last thing I add to the charging system. Any recommendations for 150w inverters that I can hardwire to the battery? Id prefer not to spend $500 on a new alternator, battery and wires. Thanks!
The smaller inverters will generally have a cigarette lighter connector. You can always cut that off and extend the wires to what ever hardwired connection you want.

Back