18" or 20" Wheels?!?!?! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" or 20" Wheels?!?!?!

I have a set of factory 18s I don't need. I would be happy to get $400 + shipping charges for them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm inclined to take you up on the offer. Looks like the stock XLT wheels. What year Explorer did it come off of?

Okay, thanks. Let me double check with the dealer to make sure they'll fit.

I found this, which shows that there is a slightly different spacer distance. What makes it extra confusing is that both models show a "range". I have no experience with wheel spacers, but it sounds kind of complicated. Any thoughts?

http://autotk.com/wheels/ford/explorer/#2017

This is 5000lbs SUV and I can care less on how the rims look and would much rather spend money on tires.
I will keep the stock rims that came on my Sport for however long they last and it was even a question to buy black "no frills" steelies for my winter set.

bigger issue in this argument is the tires you end up using.

ALso - let's clarify a industry standard right now. Low profile tires are those 45 and below. the explorer on 20's in not technically a low profile tire.

the 255/50 20 is not much less sidewall than the 245/60 18. it is some yes - but not as if they used 245/45 20's. you also gain a touch of width and planting so keep that in mind.

sidewall equals - width in MM x ratio. so the 18 is 245 x .60 = 147mm, and the 20 is 255 x .50 = 127.5mm so approx 3/4 of an inch while gaining approx 1/2 inch in tire patch width.

tires that are going to be stiff walled are going to be a bit worse on the 20, sure. but some tires are made for this - however far more specifically - the damping ratio and spring rates are made for this too.

but let's face it the tires on the explorer from the factory mostly suck - any better tire is going to sound, and ride better. the stockers do have some grip though, I will grant them that.

Therefore I would tell you to get the 20's - I got the 20's and I didn't want to pay for them initially but every time I trade lanes quickly because of city crap traffic rot - I'm glad I did. ride smoothness - we tried them both and wifey and I both decided on the 20's for different reasons. her looks - me lateral stability.

the sport is a completely different animal - since it's lowered about an inch that's an inch less suspension travel to absorb energy in the system. Thus the shocks are valved to tighten up quicker and harder - the spring rates are higher too boot. not a fair comparison at all. now if they had the room I would have put 275/40 or 45's on the sport but that's just me.

My stocker kumho's are about to die in a fire and be replaced with either michelin's or something

I realize I may have hijacked this thread somewhat. For me it was more about 18 vs 20 for winters. It doesn't seem to make much sense to try to get 20s for winters. The cost is significantly higher and 18s have better, safer snow traction. I definitely want two sets of rims for easy DIY switching.

I'm very happy with quiet, comfortable ride with the Sport using stock 20s. Sure, bumps feel a slightly harsher relative to the other trims, but I don't think it's a significant difference. When the stock tires wear out, I'll buy whatever is good for me.

but let's face it the tires on the explorer from the factory mostly suck - any better tire is going to sound, and ride better. the stockers do have some grip though, I will grant them that.

First off, let me state I'm not at all trying to argue with you or call you out or whatever. Just knowing what I know this made me chuckle. My wife is a Product Industrialization Construction Manager at a major tire company (at one of their major plants.) She's basically in charge of the people who build the 'test' tires for both the company she works for as well as many of the major auto makers. And while she (usually) doesn't deal with the auto companies directly, she has in the past (when they sent us to Germany for a year. -- this could also be a hint as to who she works for, haha.)

Anyway, why I found your comment funny is that the auto makers specifically ask for certain things for their vehicles to provide the absolute best ride possible. The tire designers (and then later the people who work for my wife) have to jump through hoops to make this happen. Sometimes the build is right the first time, sometimes it takes three or four ETOs (experimental tire orders) to make the auto makers happy. They go through this with most every vehicle (at least the auto companies that work with my wife's company, anyway.)

Again, not trying to disagree, just thought it was funny that even after all the hoop jumping that takes place to put the 'perfect tire' on a vehicle from the factory they can still suck for some of us. :p

I realize I may have hijacked this thread somewhat. For me it was more about 18 vs 20 for winters. It doesn't seem to make much sense to try to get 20s for winters. The cost is significantly higher and 18s have better, safer snow traction. I definitely want two sets of rims for easy DIY switching.

I'm very happy with quiet, comfortable ride with the Sport using stock 20s. Sure, bumps feel a slightly harsher relative to the other trims, but I don't think it's a significant difference. When the stock tires wear out, I'll buy whatever is good for me.

winter tires also also a different animal due to their design tradeoff. and so there I often think you have to go with what you can get. vs all seasons or worse yet summer only performance tires vs DOT R or even non-DOT race tires.

First off, let me state I'm not at all trying to argue with you or call you out or whatever. Just knowing what I know this made me chuckle. My wife is a Product Industrialization Construction Manager at a major tire company (at one of their major plants.) She's basically in charge of the people who build the 'test' tires for both the company she works for as well as many of the major auto makers. And while she (usually) doesn't deal with the auto companies directly, she has in the past (when they sent us to Germany for a year. -- this could also be a hint as to who she works for, haha.)

Anyway, why I found your comment funny is that the auto makers specifically ask for certain things for their vehicles to provide the absolute best ride possible. The tire designers (and then later the people who work for my wife) have to jump through hoops to make this happen. Sometimes the build is right the first time, sometimes it takes three or four ETOs (experimental tire orders) to make the auto makers happy. They go through this with most every vehicle (at least the auto companies that work with my wife's company, anyway.)

Again, not trying to disagree, just thought it was funny that even after all the hoop jumping that takes place to put the 'perfect tire' on a vehicle from the factory they can still suck for some of us. :p

ALL day long. Having been on the other side of that table in a previous life I know how the arguments go behind the doors too. Sadly in many mass market plays it's the bean counters that win out. this is clearly evident in the ford product - I can't fault them for it I've seen the movie too. I bet the lincoln wouldn't come with these tires but I could be wrong.

Are you saying a tire company designs tires specifically for the automakers?
If i'm not mistaken, majority of tires that comes stock on vehicles are tires that you can buy off the shelf.

winter tires also also a different animal due to their design tradeoff. and so there I often think you have to go with what you can get. vs all seasons or worse yet summer only performance tires vs DOT R or even non-DOT race tires.
All weather tires will eliminate the need for 2 different sets.

Peter

Will also "eliminate" longevity of the treads also...LOL
But you won't have to pay for an extra set of wheels, TPMS and tires.;)

Are you saying a tire company designs tires specifically for the automakers?
If i'm not mistaken, majority of tires that comes stock on vehicles are tires that you can buy off the shelf.
Yes, on many vehicles the tires that come on that vehicle were specifically engineered for said vehicle. Sidewall stiffness, etc might have been adjusted to meet the auto makers requests. It could only be a small variation of a tire that is currently for sale on a store shelf, but will still be at least slightly different.

Interestingly enough our 2011 Fusion came with Goodyear tires. When they wore out we put General tires on it (get them at a discount, hint #2 of who the wife works for...but it's not General, haha) and we actually have a smoother, quieter ride now. But, in theory, many vehicles on the road (when first purchased) have tires that were designed for that vehicle.

The summer/winter tire thing isn't a big thing where I'm from (southern Illinois.) We get some decent snows a few times a year, but nothing all that bad (if we get over a foot of snow it's almost considered a blizzard, haha.) Hadn't really seen the 'summer tire' thing all that up close and person until we spent that time in Germany. German's are really big on having the summer/winter tires. Which I found somewhat interesting because, at least in the part of Germany where we were, they didn't get all that much snow or ice (less than where I'm from in the states I'd say.)

Yes indeed if you pay careful attention the the model numbers or the specifics on an oddball size - there are indeed tires specifically designed for an application. In fact today's lesser used Z or ZR speed rating for tires was created by goodyear specifically for the mid 90's Corvette ZR-1 and untill about 2002 the only tires you could find that hit that were sized specifically to match the wheels of the Zr-1 etc.

today there are speed ratings well above that like the more common W rating.

ever notice how sam's sells a michelin tires model _______________ in a size that is cheaper than anywhere else. Did you notice that when you go to other stores and quote another michelin tire the model numbers are different?

The continental tire on today's bimmer M3 cannot be bought from any other vendor. however there is a continental tire that is remarkably similar to it that you can buy off of tire rack etc etc.

low rolling resistance tires are another boondoggle. Often a tire maker will produce the near same tire with a slightly different model name/number something - or in a different speed/weight category - on purpose just to market the alternative.

peter on the winter tire thing - to be fair if I lived where you do I would probably have dedicated winter tires on a car - specifically a RWD high power car like my DD. on a FWD biased appliance a all season is probably good enough for most use.

speed limits are another thing you can drive safer at speed on ice in a winter tires than you can on an all season - and God help you if you find your self on summer only Hi-po tires on wet pavement when the temps are below 40.

also german laws and insurance regulations will require you to drive on winter dedicated tires depending on your car and capability, same thing with summer tires for hot wet summer days. IE when doing 130 on the autobahn all the grip you can have is important.

also german laws and insurance regulations will require you to drive on winter dedicated tires depending on your car and capability, same thing with summer tires for hot wet summer days. IE when doing 130 on the autobahn all the grip you can have is important.
Ah, I never even considered German law. Good call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah, I never even considered German law. Good call.
it's that whole thing about the 160 with red line badges you see on some cars.

If you don't keep up with the recommend MX practice and intervals as spelled out by the car manufacturer you cannot go faster than ______ on the autobahn. so you have to have a sticker on your car.

get caught doing it lose your license for one year and pay real fines. do it again lose your car and your license or something akin to that.

driving a bimmer 550 i - that's rated for the 150+ lane, and the manual states for temps below ________ use tires rated for _______ (IE winter tires) and you get in an accident but your car is still wearing non rated tires per the temp, your insurnace might reject your claim.

one thing I wish we did here was mandatory driver re-currency every 3-5 years and required car inspections for safety. would eliminate many issues we have on our roads.

Back