1991 Radio Wiring with Amp

kanno41

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT and '91 XL
Hey everyone,

I have been searching around the internet (and this wonderful forum) for weeks trying to figure out what the colors are for which speaker on a 1991 Ford Explorer.

I have the following speaker wires from the harness. It does have a factory amp, but I haven't been able to find this particular set of wire colors in any other thread here.

White/Orange
White/Green
Yellow
Green
Blue
Blue/Black
Brown
Lavender/White

I'd really appreciate your help. I'm down to my last hope here.
Thanks,
Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the harness adapter all you have to do is match the colored wires from the adapter to the stereo's wires.

If you have the harness adapter all you have to do is match the colored wires from the adapter to the stereo's wires.

I'm afraid I don't have the harness adapter. I meant the shielded harness in the dash that connected to the old radio.

I have a new head unit that uses these and I have to splice them with these wires.
Purple w/ Black Stripe
Purple
Gray w/ Black Stripe
Gray
Green w/ Black Stripe
Green
White w/ Black Stripe
White

The reason why the speaker wires exact color code isn't listed here is because those adapters only cost 5-10$. It's not smart to cut off the stock radio plug and splice your radio in.

I had to wire mine in wire by wire also. when I boutght my ex it had no radio. someone had stolen it and cut all the wires. the way I have always done it is find your constant power, ignition power, and ground. you need a test light to do it. with the key off start poking your wires. when it lights up, thats your 12v power. then turn your key on and start poking again. as soon as you find the one that lights up, turn the key off and poke it again and and make sure it doesn't light up. thats your ACC power (memory for the radio so you don't lose your pre sets and clock) once you got power, you can start searching for your speakers. on your stereo, ( I usually start with the front right) get two of your same color wires, one with a stripe, one solid. there should be a group of 8 wires bunched up together. those are your speaker wires. (can't remember the colors) splice all of them. with your 2 same color wires frome the stereo, connect one of them (either or, solid or the one with the stripe) to any one of the 8 wires you spiced. now take the other wire from the stereo and touch each wire out of the 7 till you get a sound out of one of the speakers. make sure you have the volume up. there should be a wire diagram on your new stereo of which speaker is which. as soon as you get a sound out of one of your speakers, grab those 2 wires and tape them together with some masking tape and label them with which speaker it was. for instance if it was the front right, write on the tape, FR. ect.... with the other ones. once you find out which speaker is which and you have them all labeled, you can refer to the wire diagram on the stereo and start matching them up. hope this helps

Back